Chapter 7

Draco circled around until they found a cave. He carefully landed and lowered his head to the ground. Celine jumped down with Zayden. He was still shaking uncontrollably, tears streaming down his face as he clung on to Celine's warm embrace.

"Go back and return with Red. If you can, please put out the flames." Celine silently thanked her familiar. Due to Draco's water power, only he could save that forest from completely burning down.

As Draco disappeared into the sky, Celine could only hold Zayden close and stroke his hair until he calmed down.

A long timed had passed before Zayden stopped crying and regained his senses. He became embarrassed and squeezed out of her arms. Celine reluctantly released him when she realized he wasn't shaking anymore.

With a flushed face he mumbled, "Thank you."

Celine nodded and slowly examined the extent of his injuries. There were multiple cuts and stabs on his arms since he had shielded himself. The wounds weren't fatally severe, but Zayden had lost a lot of blood.

They waited in silence until their familiars arrived. Red transformed into a smaller baby dragon and immediately ran to Zayden, whining with worry and guilt. Zayden gently pat the top of his head and gave him a forgiving smile.

"Draco, can you dampen this cloth? And Red, can you find some logs or sticks so we can set up a campfire?" Celine quickly sent out instructions for the two familiars in order to prepare for the rest of the night.

Celine knew that the warriors wouldn't actually risk entering the forest because of the rumors. They would most likely leave after observing the entrance to the forest. After all, who would believe that a weak child could possibly survive the night in a forest filled with monsters? She intended to drop Zayden off right outside of the forest entrance. For now, they would have to wait in the cave until dawn.

Draco nodded and wet her cloth using the little power that remained in his body. He even gave them clean water to quench their thirst. Shortly after, Red also gathered a pile of sticks and built a steady campfire. Afterwards, both familiars fell asleep in exhaustion next to Celine and Zayden.

Zayden was also too worn out to resist Celine as she unabashedly took off his loose garments. Celine quickly cleaned the blood around Zayden's wounds and disinfected him with alcohol from her first aid kit. She ignored his cries and continued to apply herbal medicine, then finally wrapped his injuries with the hem of her dress that she had ripped out from her dress. This was all Celine could do for him, since she had never really practiced medicine before.

"It hurts now, but you'll feel much better in a couple of days." Celine reassured him with confidence.

The way she treated Zayden's wounds were peculiar and not listed in the medical textbooks, but he trusted her greatly and didn't complain.

When she touched his bare skin, Zayden felt warm and mushy inside. The fear and pain he had felt a while ago was completely replaced with joy and nervousness. This happy feeling scared him, but he also craved for more. For Zayden, Celine looked like an angel who had descended from the heavens and pulled him out of hell.

Even now, Celine looked unreal and otherworldly. Her silvery white hair shimmered under the moon, and her milky skin was soft and delicate. Her sparkling eyes that were only focused on him shined with radiance. His heart beat uncontrollably fast, and his cheeks were burning as he become aware of his nudity.

Does she have no shame? How could she brazenly undress me and wash my body?

Zayden was 8 years old and shamefully felt completely exposed. Maybe it was because Celine didn't feel wary of someone who was like a younger brother?  For some reason, this reasoning was unsettling and bothersome.