Chapter 82

Celine traveled for many days without any rest. She didn't want to stop and the thought of stomaching food made her nauseous enough. It felt as if she was traveling in hell, and she became increasingly anxious as she was flying alone with her thoughts. Draco, who worried for his master, sped up his pace and never landed once. Celine only looked onwards and remained sane for one reason; to see Akihiko. She desperately wanted to run into his arms and lean her head against his comforting chest. Her heart tumbled and squeezed painfully as she saw his tent coming into view. 

There, Akihiko stood tall outside of the campsite, waiting for her arrival. He also appeared exhausted as if he hadn't slept a wink. He looked relieved, worried, and frustrated as Celine came into view.  He had heard that the Zionitte capitol had burned into ruins. He had barely slept a wink as he had desperately searched for Celine everywhere. 

Akihiko was Celine's pillar, a companion during the hardest and the best times. She just needed him near, and she jumped off of Draco's back before he could even land. She ran to Akihiko as fast as she could, and he widened his eyes in surprise. Joy spread across his normally blank and unreadable expression. The emperor realized how much he meant to Celine and he forgot his worries.

As he spread his arms out wide, Celine recalled a poem she had read many years ago.

Because it was so hard to come to you, let me have your best caress.

Just like that, Celine melted perfectly into his arms, almost as if they had become one.

*****

Celine was woken up from the overbearing sound of a war cry. She had momentarily taken a nap after working hard the previous night with her weaponry.

Seven months had passed since the gruesome event. Now, Krastia and the Zionitte army were battling ruthlessly, without a clear forecast of who was winning. Krastia was at an advantage because of Celine's advanced weaponry and Akihiko's military tactics. The Krastian army made up for their lack of numbers with skills, the emperor's leadership, and the allying countries' collaborative efforts. The Zionittes' only advantage was the sheer number of soldiers within the army since it was currently the strongest empire in the continent. They moved relentlessly and fought like savages, disregarding any implications of morality. They utilized military tactics such as ambushes, surprise attacks, and even confused their enemies or targeted their weakness. It seemed as if Zavia's army had no consideration for any of the civilians and brought destruction everywhere they went.

The emperor altered his military strategies to keep up with the Zionittes' mercilessness while upholding the strongest degree of honor. The Krastian army won a series of battles by outflanking, wearing-down and encircling their enemies. It was an unending cycle as Krastia deflected every dirty scheme the Zionittes had planned. 

Zavia only wanted chaos instead of control over the land. The Zionittes were controlled and ordered to fight until they dropped dead, which made it difficult for Krastia. The world was spiraling downhill as Zavia brainwashed and recruited more soldiers before Krastia could get to them. It was months of endless, bloody fights across the world. However, it was difficult to track and pinpoint Zavia's location to end the pointless war.

Sir Vigos had sent a letter hypothesizing the devil's mindset based on Celine's conjecture that Zavia was possessed. If it could possess a stronger body, it would've already possessed Emperor Laith's. However, since the evil being only remained in Zavia, it meant that there was a specific host that it needed. Perhaps Zavia was already a black magic user with enough power to become a host for such an evil being or perhaps she had entered a dangerous contract. 

However, the countries had already established Zavia's thirst for blood. The Zionitte Empire had completely fallen to ashes, and the concubine's army set aflame each city they invaded.

Even Krastia's capital was under attack, although Sir Vigos had protected the civilians well due to Celine's advanced weapons.

After suffering for many months, the harsh winter brought dwindling resources. Celine had spent her free time developing and improving many of her weapons, yet refused to introduce them to the world until they were perfected. For the emperor, it was a weapon that could've won the war within a month. However, Celine couldn't mentally handle how the world would change with the introduction of the first gun. It was a long and difficult process to manufacture the weapons by herself, let alone making the blueprint. She had been sidetracked with the mission of creating helmets and earmuffs to block Zavia's brainwashing tactics. However, after finishing the mass production of those items, she had finally been able to work on her own project.

She had first replicated a Chinese fire lance using a hollow bamboo tube with gunpowder. Then gradually, she had crafted assault rifles using composite materials. She was grateful for gathering knowledge and being a genius engineer in the previous world, focusing on how to make machines and constantly finding ways to improve the standard of living. So far, Celine only created a dozen Chinese fire lances, one rifle, three revolvers, four shotguns, and two small grenades. After the war, Celine planned to store them in the national treasury then destroy the deadly weapons once Emperor Akihiko passed away. She had given the rifle and one of the grenades to Sir Vigos while she took the rest with her. However, she needed to make more rifles and delayed its introduction to the world.

The Krastian army was tired and wanted to go home. They were losing the mental strength to go further, and Celine finally gave in to the Emperor's pleas to bring forth these weapons. It was a grave meeting, and the private tent was filled with tense eagerness. The private tent consisted of the strongest soldiers with the highest degree of precision, coordination, swordsmanship, and virtue. The emperor had personally disciplined each man, encouraging their spiritual and physical cultivation. They were his best men whom the pair could trust when it came to such lethal weapons. However, Celine and the emperor grimly watched one another as she unlocked a tightly shut case.

The people within the tent sucked in a breath as she lifted the case and displayed an array of weirdly shaped weapons. If anyone were to walk in and witness the scene, they wouldn't be scared by an object that didn't even appear dangerous. However, the appearance sent shivers down the backs of each individual, for they were already trained to use a gun and knew the damage it would bring.

Only the strongest and most trustworthy men would wield guns. Celine refused to create more in case it fell into the wrong hands. Celine was not a modern doctor and didn't know how to heal a gunshot wound. Whoever was shot, would eventually die from the bullet. She was afraid of bringing harm to her own loved ones.

Celine gave the emperor a grave look as she introduced the weapons and detailed its purpose.