Chapter 24

Zavia wore a colorful gown embellished with intricately embroidered designs that was rare and nearly priceless in the market. She had adorned herself with the most exquisite jewelry. Her hair was twisted and pinned to the side of her head while her eyelids were thick with outdated, kohl eyeliner. The concubine smiling softly at the Crown Prince before her curtsy. 

 Although Celine had introduced a more natural and enhancing style of makeup, her cosmetic line never reached outside of the capital. She had never wanted to branch out because her products were handmade by herself. She simply didn't want to expand her business and make more. The men who had returned from war were initially shocked to see women without their usual eye makeup. They needed more time to adjust to this new standard of beauty, although they did not dislike it. 

Therefore, to Celine, Zavia's overly done eyeliner reminded her of a villainous character amongst the crow of fresh faced beauties. Meanwhile, Zavia did not seem to notice the difference and even criticized the women inwardly. She believed women were ugly without kohl eyeliner on their eyelids!

"Good evening, your highness. As always, you are more beautiful than the sun." She wrapped her hands around his arms as if she had routinely done this multiple times. 

Zavia turned her head slighly and faced Celine with unwavering confidence. Although Zavia had innocent, bambi eyes with a seemingly kind character, Celine could easily see through her facade. Her gentle eyes had slightly widened upon scanning Celine more closely, showing a hint of jealousy. 

"Hello Lady Caelina, it is a pleasure to meet you. I am Zavia Lenne." She smiled warmly, although the warmth didn't quite reach her eyes.

Celine nodded and shifted her gaze downwards at the jade ring hooked on Zavia's finger.

Maybe he didn't forget his promises. He just ignored them. 

(Side note: Before Laith left for war, Celine asked for a jade ring.)

Laith noticed Celine's stare that was intensely focused on Zavia's finger. He felt uncomfortable, guilty even.

"I wanted to dance with Laith. May I steal him for a dance?" Zavia asked politely, yet she emphasized his name. As if to show how close she was to the Crown Prince.

Usually, this sort of manner was considered rude and often punishable, yet Celine remained quiet. She also didn't care to correct her mannerism in public.

Celine faded into the background as the new couple danced.

Lady Yasna immediately walked over to Celine and squeezed her hand and gave her comfort and friendly warmth. 

"I have no words. I can only say that she is very ugly." Yasna whispered. 

Celine was grateful for her friend, and even smiled a little.

But I'm not upset because of them! I'm upset because Laith rejected my proposal!

She racked her brain as she tried to figure out the cause of the Crown Prince's strange actions.

Did Laith not love Zavia yet? Did he still harbor feelings towards me? Or is it because he would suffer major embarrassment from losing the most beautiful woman in the Empire? She imagined Zayden scoffing at her shameless speculations and shook her head at her own brainstorming thoughts. For now, Celine could only conclude that the Crow Prince wanted to keep her around for an unknown purpose.

Then, Celine felt a strong, lustful stare penetrating her back. She immediately shivered, reliving the traumatic event from the past. She slowly turned around and her complexion paled. Emperor Michaelis I's perverted smile sent goosebumps up her back. He was drunk, and it was obvious how wanton he had become. Celine had narrowly escaped his sexual assault a while back, and she was deeply traumatized to to this day. She had slowly gotten used to his presence over time, yet whenever he stared at Celine with those eyes, her body immediately panicked. She felt suffocated and tightly gripped Yasna's hand to prevent herself from falling into a panic attack. 

"Celine? Why is your palm so sweaty?" Yasna noticed her friend's eyes brimming with fear and gently rubbed her back. "Is it because of the concubine? What's wrong? Why are you frozen?"

Yasna didn't know how to handle an anxious person and showered her with questions out of concern. 

Celine felt as if she was drowning and couldn't breathe. She gasped for breath and was about to run away from the perverted stares when the Second Prince approached her with a gentle smile.

"May I ask for a dance?"