Chapter 27

During the next few days, nobles walked in and out of the Imperial palace to greet the Crown Prince. His political presence increased steadily until he gathered enough supporters to take over Sir Vigos' responsibilities. Before Prince Laith's arrival, Sir Vigos had been managing the Zionitte Empire's budget and state affairs. 

This struggle for power created two separate factions which consisted of the young nobles who supported the Crown Prince, and the greedy elders who didn't want their power to be taken away. They pushed for the Second Prince to receive a portion of the Crown Prince's responsibilities, and the Emperor didn't care enough to resolve with this conflict. 

The Second Prince also didn't interfere and remained as a bystander. Stepping in to refuse the greedy nobles' proposal would hurt Lady Yasna's reputation and social status, which would greatly upset Celine in return. If Zayden did interfere and initiate a fight for the throne, this would anger Celine. 

Therefore, the two opposing sides continued to clash until Sir Vigos was eventually forced to step down.

Meanwhile, throughout this ongoing turmoil, Lady Yasna paid frequent visits to Celine's chambers in order  to relieve her stress.

Celine frowned at the appearance of the woman in front of her, who seemed to be quite thin and weak. Her usual aura of grace and elegance had dissipated. Lady Yasna seemed exhausted and drained of energy as she explained her current situation.  

"He's just too greedy for more power. At this rate, I'm afraid that the Crown Prince will strip our title away and exile us once he becomes Emperor. The Second Prince doesn't even want the throne either. What does he think he's going to accomplish?" Celine pushed her seat closer to Yasna and gently rubbed her friend's back. She quietly ordered Hala to bring them a cup of tea with special herbs.

Celine attempted to speak as softly as she could. "Perhaps he will realize that the Crown Prince has many redeeming qualities and-"

"stop being stubborn?" Yasna interrupted. "He believes that you will help him! Why do you think he lets me visit you this often?" She rolled her eyes and continued. "I am tired of the humiliation I face everyday. The women call me shameless and covetous, while Lady Celine's title is also threatened due to the concubine. How did we become the most scandalous women overnight?"

Celine smiled and considered her words. She had not made an appearance to the public since the Crown Prince's arrival. She had rejected many invitations and simply didn't bother showing up to any social functions. After all, Celine believed she would be leaving soon. 

She didn't voice her future plans to Yasna. Although Lady Yasna was one of her closest companions, she was still loyal to the Emperor and was the wife of Sir Vigos. Celine was sorry for Yasna's situation. However, she knew that Yasna would never abandon her husband. Although Yasna was complaining now, Celine could detect the concern and worry for her husband. 

What's going to happen to this couple once I leave?

Celine bit her lip and didn't want to imagine such a dreadful situation.

"How can you smile right now? Your claim as an Empress is jeopardized!" Lady Yasna sipped her tea with disgust in her eyes. The liquid momentarily soothed her mind before she continued in frustration. "Your husband isn't an Emperor and he already issued a concubine. I am even more concerned for you."

"Yasna, I am not bothered by the Crown Prince's personal matters." Celine shrugged as if this was a common occurrence in her life. 

"You may not care, yet there are rumors currently swirling around concerning the change in support for the Second Prince!"

"Yes, but Prince Zayden will never aim for the throne. Anyways, there are more pressing matters to worry about than this." She brushed away Yasna's concerns, unable to explain how these rumors would actually benefit her in the long run. 

Yasna was exasperated as she pressed on. "What if Prince Laith misunderstands? You'll be convicted of treason."

If Prince Laith misunderstood, he would want to end their ambiguous relationship immediately. Celine didn't want to be considered unfaithful, but Prince Laith would have no right to judge her. If the Crown Prince didn't believe her innocence, it would be his own fault.

"Actually Yasna, we were never officially engaged. I was welcomed as a fiance, yet the Emperor never issued any official documents. I don't care what anyone else believes, because the relevant people involved know the truth."

"Celine... The opinions of other people may hurt you in the end and contort the truth. If everyone hates you, they'll stand up against you with no hesitation. It is better to clear your name." Lady Yasna was worried for her close friend. She could tell that Celine didn't want to be the Empress. Although her heart squeezed in pain for Celine's dreary future, she believed that her friend was destined to be a benevolent Empress. The throne could only belong to her. Celine was the epitome of elegance, symbolizing feminine power unlike any other women. She was a creator, a smart woman who knew how to bargain and convince a group of people, and her mere presence demanded power and respect.

Yasna lovingly admired her friend's beauty. This woman had been abandoned by her own family and become engaged to such an unaffectionate man, yet she still stood confidently without a care in the world. 

"Thank you for your concern, I will see what I can do. Maybe I should improve my reputation just a little bit." Celine giggled, and her bright smile was blinding to her friend. 

Yasna nodded and reverted back to complaining about her husband's wrongdoings, while Celine listened earnestly and provided sound advice. 

Later, she sought for ways to clear Celine's name and secretly conspired to push for Celine's return to the social circle.  Yasna recalled her first impression of Celine very long ago. Celine's cheeks were pink and lovely as she mentioned Prince Laith. This memory motivated Yasna to help improve her friend's relationship with the Crown Prince. 

The Crown Prince wouldn't be blind enough to choose Zavia over Celine!

Meanwhile, Celine felt an ominous feeling and randomly shuddered.