Chapter 53

Same hour, in the main palace of Krastia

The newly renovated throne room satisfied Emperor Akihiko's taste. The palace was set within massive stone walls and elevated off the ground with stone steps. The palace itself was decorated with thatched roofs and a dark interior. 

Behind the sliding panels and folding screens of a particularly lavish court room, a beautiful man sat on a cushioned seat. He wore a silk robe with a large dragon embroidered on the back. It hung around his shoulders loosely, revealing his white trousers and sculpted body.

The emperor had concluded his meeting with dignitaries who detailed the plan for the following festival held tomorrow night. The new emperor was fond of such festivities; the smokey and loud atmosphere was somehow a nostalgic experience for him. The emperor also frequented the village to appreciate their acceptance to the new ruler. They respected Akihiko not only for his competency as leader, but for his lean physique and soft, facial features. This was a complete contrast from the way he was treated in Zionitte empire.

Due to his popularity, many officials pushed their daughters towards the emperor in hopes of earning his attention. Despite the lack of concubines in his harem and the vacant spot for the empress, he was still rumored to be a womanizer due to his charismatic charm.

Presently, a young woman graced the emperor's hall as the dignitaries took in a sharp breath. She was 16 years old, yet she held the title for the most beautiful woman in Krastia. With silky black hair and a perfectly round face, she was the epitome of a beautiful, Krastian woman.

"Your majesty, I present to you my daughter, Yua." A man knelt to the floor in reverence, flaunting his purple robe to symbolize his highest ranking status. 

Because he was the highest ranking official, Yua was the most qualified noblewoman in Krastia and the strongest candidate for the empress' seat, not to mention her unforgettable beauty and intelligence. Now that she had come of age, she was brought to the palace immediately. As the empress, her father would secure his status and his influence would increase.

Previously linked to the late emperor, she had been far too young for the empress' position. As she observed the new emperor before her, she was thankful for her past circumstances.

She kneeled with elegance, her ceremonial dress stretching out like petals. Her pride and confidence oozed from her smile. She was no gentle lotus; this headstrong woman was spoiled and received whatever she desired.

The emperor motioned her forward, and she was ushered to his side. Emperor Akihiko lifted Yua's chin to observe her more closely, and the woman flushed crimson at his handsome features.

Her body felt warm, for she had never seen such a beautiful man in her entire life.

"They say you're the most beautiful woman in Krastia." He finally commented.

"Ah yes, my daughter is not only beautiful, but she is also educated in the arts and well versed with poetry." Both Yua and her father beamed with delight at his words.

"I am honored to hear such compliments from the wise emperor of Krastia, your majesty." She lowered her eyes and bowed deeply.

". . ."

A middle aged man who also wore a purple robe stood to the side, frowning. He was Akihiko's most trusted advisor. He clenched his jaw, wincing from the humiliation that this proud woman would experience soon enough. He had served the emperor for many years and had inevitably acquired the keen ability to understand his thoughts. The emperor had not complemented Yua's beauty. In fact, he had simply stated the rumors surrounding that woman, and the emperor's indifferent eyes meant that he did not agree with her title. He braced himself for the retaliation and sure enough, the emperor called for his name. 

"Vigos, this woman has excelled in her studies and boasts with confidence. It leads me to think she has accomplished many feats. What has she done for Krastia?" The emperor smiled haughtily.

"She has not achieved any accomplishments, your majesty." Sir Vigos replied strongly, although his palms were sweaty from the opposing side's glare. Because Yua's father had not earned the new emperor's favor as of yet, his position was threatened by Sir Vigos. There was uneasy tension as Sir Vigos continued to account for Yua's lack of participation even within the social circles. Although Yua was considered the flower of Krastia, she had committed many misdeeds and harmed multiple servants. She reigned the social circles amongst women in fear, rather than coaxing them to her side. Therefore, her name had become tarnished when the previous emperor passed away. She was no longer the daughter of the highest official, for Sir Vigos held the spot now!

"Has she displayed any technical skills that will ensure her competency as head of the inner palace?" The emperor probed.

Sir Vigos shook his head, glancing at the bashed woman apologetically.

"You are an intelligent woman with many connections, yet you have done nothing for my country. You want to be my wife, but shouldn't you at least be qualified to lead the country with me?" The emperor raised his eyebrows, and Yua squirmed, shaken by the sudden criticism. Her face had turned a darker shade of red from humiliation. The surrounding nobles coughed at his sudden remark, and the air was filled with awkward silence.

Yua's delicate smile faltered, before she mustered up her courage again. "How can a woman accomplish such a difficult task? A woman should be obedient and submit to their husband. A woman's role is to practice proper speech, modesty, and morality."

The men in the room nodded in agreement, seemingly agreeing with Yua. However, the relief was short-lived, for the emperor stared darkly at her. 

Yua was not wrong; women were bound to their husbands. However, the emperor had been taught differently. He had been told that women may be physically smaller, but they were equally intelligent as men. Akihiko had also been told to only keep one woman by his side, never accepting mistresses into his bed. He clicked his tongue in frustration, unable to recall the face of the tutor who had instilled this principle.

He decided not to rebuke Yua's words, for her father was a respected man. However, he didn't want to deal with the woman anymore and simply nodded, motioning her to leave.