Chapter 71

A celebration was held in place for the success of Zavia's assassination attempt and Emperor Akihiko's speedy recovery. As the emperor remained seated at the highest altar, he overlooked the festivities of noble men and women chatting away within their seats as traditional performances were held throughout the night.

Celine, who also sat amongst the nobles, was particularly entranced by her surroundings, which was far different from the Zionitte Empire. The traditional music reminded her of her past home, and the bowed string instruments created a peaceful yet formal atmosphere. She mingled with the nobles who were deeply interested in her, and the nobles remained relatively modest compared to the Zionittes even when they were drunk. She was swarmed with questions from noble ladies, while men openly stared at her beauty. They didn't dare approach Lady Celine, for they feared the emperor's wrath. 

Celine had also decorated herself with colorful fabrics and jade accessories gifted by the emperor. Her clothes were rather conservative and rich in color, much different from the Zionitte empire. The deeper colors contrasted with her pale skin, and her silvery hair stood out even more. She felt rather regal and more comfortable with this familiar style of traditional clothes and happily enjoyed many fruitful conversations. 

Meanwhile, the emperor scrutinized this scene before him. All he saw were snakes who intricately hid the poison on their tongues with sweet and angelic voices probing for potential mishaps or weaknesses. He was irritated by the bastards who drooled and shamelessly stole glances with his woman. Many performers attempted to gain his attention, yet their seductive eyes were immediately rejected as he could only look at one woman.

Suddenly, he remembered Celine's words, the only obvious hint that indicated her remembrance of her past life. The atmosphere suddenly became cold and the subjects shifted uncomfortably in their seats. Even Celine frowned when she felt the burning stare of the emperor penetrating her skin.

She had been happily chatting with the noble ladies and was overjoyed as she realized how popular Akihiko had become in this country. Seeing his popularity amongst women was heart warming for her since he was finally receiving his well deserved recognition. Celine always believed that Akihiko's beauty shouldn't go unnoticed and hoped that he would eventually forget the past where he was scorned for his looks. Afterall, above all things, Celine wished for Akihiko's happy ending. She could imagine reading about his accomplishments and wisdom in the history textbooks. She smiled proudly to herself without realizing the empty space her eyes had drifted off to was the table filled with young, noble men. She didn't realize that the emperor was watching her every move, or that the emperor had suddenly recalled the moment she had revealed a story from her past life.

Celine decided to slip away from the celebration because she felt a slight stir in her heart as she came to a disturbing realization. The lack of attention the emperor gave to other women had made her feel somewhat light and . . . happy. She sometimes caught herself gazing at the emperor with wonder, surprised that he would meet her eyes immediately. He was always on her mind, and it seemed to be the same for him. It seemed as if the marriage proposal would be a success if Celine didn't do anything now.

"I'm crazy." Celine sighed.

****

As Celine prepared to get ready for bed, she heard a dramatic noise outside her balcony. She called for Draco, and instead found Akihiko standing tall underneath the moonlight. It was a quite sudden and surprising visit, yet she didn't immediately kick him out because the Second Prince had always barged into her chambers in the past.

"Did your majesty enjoy the celebration?" She tilted her head forward and walked towards him.

The emperor only stiffened, and upon closer inspection, she noticed how frustrated he appeared to be. His eyes darkened, and he stared at her grimly.