Chapter 56

The night of the festival

Emperor Akihiko casually sat in a private balcony, where he overlooked the entire stage and market. His silk robes glistened as the aristocracy surrounded his luxurious booth. The screens were decorated with the richest colors and drawings. The nobles watched the special stage intently, praising the dancing women that captivated the entire market. The air was filled with shouts and laughter, although it could only be faintly heard from the booth.

Night vendors filled the streets, and the market was crowded. The vivacity of the night stunned Celine as she surveyed the scene before her. She was amazed by the beautiful lights from the buildings and the misty mountains hovering behind. The scene before her was a depiction of the majestic night festivals she read about in history books.

"Everything is so. . . mesmerizing." Celine finally said.

"Yes, my lady. You had been missing out for the past few years." Hala laughed at her master's adorable expression.

"It's exactly how it was described in books, but more." Celine whispered, and Hala gave her a puzzled look.

Zayden is the emperor of this country.

Emperor Akihiko engaged with the country's festivals, unlike the Zionitte emperor. Because of the emperor's attendance, the festival was much more exciting and lively. 

A surge of pride ran through her head for the emperor who was finally appreciated as a genius. She listened to the crowds of people continuously praising Emperor Akihiko's looks, skills, and intelligence. She nearly cried from joy, wanting to scream that she always knew he possessed these qualities.

"I heard he accepted his first concubine!"

"It's about time. I wonder what his child's familiar would be."

"I have never seen such a perfect face before. Let's take a glimpse tonight!"

"Do you think we will get to see the dragon tonight?"

Celine furrowed her brows and strained her ears.

A concubine? After all of my lectures?

"Let's look for a textile!" Hala dragged her deeper into the market, where merchants sold textiles and different types of fabric. The group separated, as Zakai and the children wanted to eat food while the women continued to walk down the clothing market.

Celine became distracted by the row of silks in one vendor, wondering if the children would like dresses made out of the finest fabrics.

She peered at Hala and asked, "Shouldn't you think about buying this soon? When are you marrying Zakai?"

Both the mother and Hala coughed, thoroughly shocked by the unexpected words.

"You knew about us?" Her eyes widened, amazed by Celine's insight.

"Even I knew!" The mother lightly tapped Hala, who blushed and looked away shyly. "My son loves purple." The mother winked, and Hala squirmed again. 

They became immersed in laughter, discussing the colors for Hala and Zakai's future wedding.

As the women discussed which fabric to buy, they didn't notice an intense stare from the private booth.

Emperor Akihiko was completely focused on a particular, shadowy figure in the market. The veiled person was tall, wearing common clothes that blended in with the crowd. However, this person's slender hands reached out to hold a rich, purple fabric. Akihiko knew this figure was a foreign woman, for her stature was too tall, and the woman beside her seemed to possess Zionitte features. He watched as the woman lifted the thin veil covering her face to inspect the fabric closely, revealing an eye patch and pale, glass skin.