Chapter 79

Meanwhile, Akihiko and his officials were in a private meeting, planning out the next few battles. It seemed as if the concubine controlled the Zionitte army, for her presence was more dominant than the emperor himself. Based on the recent news of her black magic usage, it was dangerous to assume that the soldiers were not affected either. The situation was grave, and the meeting lasted for many hours as the representatives from each alliance along with Akihiko sketched out the various tactics one could use. The emperor was wise, and he could easily calm a sea of men. He had used their sorrow and turned them into anger. His words sparked a fervent pride within each individual for their country, and the drive for vengeance immediately restored the soldiers' spirits.

Celine returned to her own private tent, reflecting over the recent events. As her heart slightly cooled down and the weight of the battle affected her, she searched through her memories to see if her biological father was present during the battle. She believed that he was an honorable man who would never conduct himself in such a dishonorable act. She had read enough of the Zionitte Empire's military tactics to know that surprise tactics  brought them humiliation and was the lowest method of action. 

Celine was also intrigued by Zavia's horrendous appearance that looked worse than death itself. She was curious as to how she had survived after drinking the most poisonous tea leaves and why she seemed to be an important figure to the entire band of army.

Celine knew that such troubles would occur and she wondered if they could win a war when the opposing side used such evil means. Would they also need to dirty their hands? Would the code of chivalry not pertain to this war?

This prompted Celine to immediately begin working on her new inventions, knowing exactly how to end this war. The blueprints and the parts required to assemble her desired object had been already made beforehand. Each piece was forged by a different man so that no one would know how this particular weapon would be made. Therefore, Celine was deeply absorbed in putting together the parts alone. 

Her work was interrupted by a figure walking in at the dead of night. Celine jumped up and found Akihiko staring at her from the entrance. They hadn't truly talked to each other since the first battle and had been busy with their own tasks. She saw how exhausted and tired he looked as the war had taken a heavy toll on him. Although most would take in his current appearance as regal and intimidating, Celine only saw a man who was also traumatized by the heavy deaths of his people.

For some reason, she felt comforted by his presence and that it would be fine to shed tears in front of him. She nearly ran into his arms and wrapped her arms around Akihiko. She took in his exhausted appearance and stiff shoulders that seemed to relax slightly upon their touch. Celine wasn't sure whether she was seeking comfort during a lonely time or genuinely wanting him. She couldn't deny the strong desire welling inside her and the appreciation for such a familiar person grew immensely.

They sought comfort from one another until they moved towards the bed together.

They didn't speak for a long time, for they didn't want to talk about today's disaster. Instead, Celine felt as if it was time to reveal her biggest secret. This battle had reminded her that life was incredibly fleeting. She wanted to be honest and leave with no regrets. In fact, Celine lost all sense of cautiousness around Akihiko now.

"Can I tell you a secret?" Celine asked.

The emperor nodded quietly, embracing Celine from the back as they lay on the bed together. She looked out at the entrance of the tent, avoiding eye contact with the emperor.

"Would you believe me if I said I remember my past life?" Celine asked carefully, fidgeting her fingers.

******

Celine told him about her previous life, up to her death and how she had entered this universe. He listened quietly, only stroking her hair from time to time and readjusting their positions. He nodded, naturally trusting and believing her words instead of raising his eyebrows in disbelief. In return, she was the one who was shocked to see his indifference.

"Do you truly believe me?" She asked in disbelief. Her confession had been sudden and out of the blue. Even she could barely believe the words coming out of her mouth.

Instead of teasing her, the Emperor nodded solemnly. 

"The story I want to tell you is more absurd but it connects to your side of the story well." The emperor laughed, although his expression was grim.

"Your story?" Celine pondered.

"That story you read before passing away, it truly did happen. It was the story of our first life." He paused and sat up straight, prompting Celine to leave her comfortable position and sit next to him. "I don't know how the history of our first life ended up in a book at such an ambiguous way, but I'm sure it's not a mere coincidence."

She straightened up and gave him a confused look. However, Akihiko's expression was completely placant, observing her reaction closely.

"Are you serious?" Celine wanted to roll her eyes, yet he had accepted her without a doubt so she decided to listen to Akihiko.

He nodded, feeling slightly amazed that the day had finally come. The emperor had been waiting for Celine to take the initiative and open up first. He didn't realize the day would be in the middle of war but he was wide awake now.

"Don't play with me. I'm telling you the truth." She frowned.

"So am I." He slowly reached out, then hesitated, pulling away his hand again. "I already knew that you reincarnated. . . when I received all of my memories. . ."

Celine widened her eyes. "I don't think I ever told you though?"

"You didn't. . . In fact, I'll tell you what originally happened to us in detail." The emperor sighed. "In that timeline. . . even then, I thought you were an angel. Out of your own curiosity, you came to me. You were always the light of my life, even though you weren't as knowledgeable or intelligent back then. You didn't cultivate Draco, or know anything about politics or business. We were just two innocent children who suffered under the emperor's reign. You cared for me so much that, I often forgot how cruel the world was." His eyes gleamed with softness, recalling cherished memories unfamiliar to her. "You chose to love me and suffer, which is something I didn't realize until you left. That night, when she cast a curse on me. . . When I realized what I had done and that it was too late. . . "

His eyes were downcast, filled with guilt and shame. Celine had never really seen the emperor cry. She was shocked to see him so shaken. She pat his back and encouraged him on. "Tell me exactly what happened, Akihiko."