Chapter 85

"I'm sorry, Laith." Celine stammered. Draco shielded his large stature to block the screams of the armies and terrain of bullets flying in the background. Therefore, even though she spoke very softly, Laith could hear every word. He glared at her icily, growling like a caged beast. "I just wanted to speak to you once. I know I can't save you, but I really wanted to. . ." Celine murmured. "There were too many deaths . . . and I know it's not your fault. . . If you can hear me, know that I forgive you for my friend's death."

Celine slowly grabbed the hilt of Laith's sword, hesitating as she noticed the tears in Laith's bloodthirsty eyes. He struggled less, as if he had also accepted his fate. The lines on his forehead was less wrinkly, and he seemed to look resolute, as if her soft voice soothed his angry soul.

"Too many innocent lives were lost in your hands. . . Even if I forgive you, even though you are still controlled by her and those deaths wasn't actually your doing, I can't say it's the same for everyone. I'm sorry. I'm not even sure if my words are getting through to you your majesty." She raised the sword, aiming straight for his heart. However, the sword quivered, and Celine felt terrible. "This is for all the lives you have taken, and for failing as the protector of the Zionitte Empire."

Celine paused for a long time, unable to proceed. She had never killed anyone, and stabbing her childhood friend with her sword pained her. She was also a modern woman from the 21st century who strongly advocated against gun violence. The irony distorted her expression as she pointed to his heart. However, Celine's time with Laith were buried so deep in her memories that she could barely shed tears of pity. What terrified her was killing another human and ending his only life.

"Just. . ." Laith finally spit out, and Celine stared incredulously. "Just kill me. . . Celine." He begged silently, his eyes filled with grief and agony. His voice was rough and cracked. He was battling internally, and Celine was amazed that Laith managed to even speak with Zavia's brainwash. He also seemed shaken by how he called out for her name just now.

"Just kill me!" He screamed desperately and thrashed around.

Unable to see him suffer, Celine hurriedly lifted up the weapon and aimed for his heart. Unfortunately, her arms trembled too much and she slipped, the sword stabbed into his upper abdomen instead. 

The sounds around her was completely blurred out. She immediately felt disgusted by the sound of his ripping flesh and fell to the ground next to him, shivering all over. The sword remained settled into Laith's stomach, and he slowly ripped it off with a low grunt. Celine was covered in his blood, and the stench filled her nose until she hurled to the side.

His subdued body eventually seemed to grow increasingly calm. He only looked into Celine's eyes, as if he had finally recognized her.

"It wasn't a spell. . . As long as you are afraid of something, she can manipulate you." The fallen emperor blurted, then writhed in pain again. "Fear and sin is her driving force. She can be stopped, but not destroyed. " His eyes widened in shock as if he had revealed a deep secret.

"What do you mean?" Celine frowned at his ambiguity. She couldn't understand why the emperor was helping her right now. Why did he look at her as if he recognized her?  "Laith?"

"I feared that I would harm you one day." He smiled weakly for the first time, as if he was freed from some sort of burden.

"And you were freed from her control when you realized I defeated you. . ." Celine finished quietly, while Laith only nodded. Her state of helplessness increased as the tragedy befell them both. "Your majesty. . ."

"Don't worry about me, just don't let her destroy the world." He winced, wheezing at his growing pain.

"Then how do I kill her?" Celine desperately asked.

"He will know." He looked past her, and Celine could feel Akihiko's presence from her back. He had been treading towards them, worry for Celine written all over his face. He had tried to run as fast as he could, and once he realized that the blood wasn't hers, he relaxed slightly.

A long moment passed, and Celine was at a loss for words to say. Guilt was plastered all over her face as she felt like an idiot. 

She still wanted answers on what Zavia was and if there was anything Celine should be aware of before facing her head on, yet she couldn't bring herself to ask. She knew that Laith was slowly losing consciousness and didn't want to interrogate a dying man. Celine also felt as if she could guess the answers herself, and felt the questions die at her tongue.

"You idiot. You should've stopped me from killing you. Why don't you live and work hard to redeem yourself now?" Celine muttered bitterly. She held onto his hand and felt him squeeze her gently. She wasn't sure how to heal such a deep stab wound in the middle of the battle field. He was losing too much blood, and she had nothing to wrap his injury with.

"I destroyed my country. All the blood that was shed is in my hands because I gave her the power." He spit out weakly, his voice growing smaller.

Celine could only frown deeply, feeling sorrow for the fallen man.

"All I ever wanted, was you." He whispered, and coughed up more blood, staining her feet. She bent over, ignoring the bloodied appearance to kneel before him. She hesitantly ran through his hair, and the emperor interchangeably smiled and frowned, confused by her affectionate touch. It seemed as if Laith was confused by his own words, yet he continued in anguish. "But I ruined my chance with the only woman I loved. My country also fell into ruin because of me." His face twisted,  his expression tormented and filled with anguish. He smiled woefully at his younger brother, whom he had never once shown love to. "I have even failed as a brother."

Akihiko loomed protectively over Celine, his hard expression not changing as his brother acknowledged him.

He looked at both of them in awe, and Celine realized that Laith wanted to leave this miserable life behind. What she had given him was probably mercy.

"I'm sorry." Celine still felt guilty as she had forgotten about the emperor's existence and continued to live well without him the past few years. She somehow felt responsible for leaving him be, when he had been suffering all this time. There was nothing she could do so she stayed with Emperor Laith for a long time. "I will remember you as a wise emperor. You always had the best intentions, and shined bright like a sun. May you rest in peace." Her voice broke and she held his hand tightly, wanting him to hang on and live.

The emperor gave her a warm smile, his eyes shining a little more brightly.

"Don't be sad or ridden with guilt. This is the price i must pay. Now, I want you to be happy. End this war and live well, Celine."

Til the very end, the emperor, who was once destined to be the wisest and greatest Zionitte Emperor, never showed a hint of pain as he smiled softly at the woman he loved. It was all he ever wanted, to die in the arms of his love. For Laith, it wasn't such a terrible end for all the sins he had committed. 

When he took his last breath, Celine released a terrible cry. She felt as if the people around her continued to die slowly. She held onto Akihiko as if he would leave any minute too. It was a cruel world, and there were no happy endings to these innocent lives who had been manipulated and brainwashed.  She cried for all the men who had been and would be killed today. She cried for being weak and shedding tears pathetically. However, Akihiko embraced her tightly and whispered sweet words into her ears.

They were huddled close, hidden from view because of Draco's impenetrable shield.

Meanwhile, the war continued to wage on. 

Zavia was increasingly frustrated at her weak men who fell too easily. Her eyes were said to have turned into a terrible shade of red as she disappeared within the crowd of soldiers.