Chapter 15

Zayden was used to Celine's celestial beauty. He was able to catch himself before falling into a trance. He had prepared his heart for her extravagant look before entering her chambers, and he managed to maintain his indifferent attitude. 

Truthfully, Zayden was enamored by Celine everyday, and tonight was no different. He was more concerned with the men who would approach her tonight. Their height difference annoyed him because he felt incompetent to be the one to escort her. He couldn't even bring himself to tell her how he honestly felt! 

He criticized himself as he escorted her to a vast courtyard adorned with decorations with the royal family's symbol placed everywhere. The Emperor sat underneath a tall booth furnished with textiles and priceless ornaments. There were smaller tables surrounding the Emperor, where nobles were seated by rank. 

They had missed the opening ceremony, and most of the people were already drunk and dancing or chatting near the seats. The nobles who had brought their familiars were sober and flaunting them. She was amazed by all the different creatures roaming around freely. They were in all different shapes and sizes; birds circling around their masters, while animals such as horses of different colors or bigger dogs relaxed in the lawn. 

Celine was disappointed to see that the Emperor hadn't summoned his familiar. He was currently enjoying himself with multiple concubines and not acknowledging his subjects. The first Emperor's familiar had been a Phoenix, while his son inherited a dragon. The royal family was known to possess the most powerful animals, yet no one knew what Emperor Michaelis II's familiar was. 

"Why does the Emperor not reveal any information about his familiar?" She whispered to Zayden. 

"Probably because it is weaker than the previous Emperors." He whispered back. His reasonings made sense. If his familiar was considered feeble and frail, the royal family's image would plummet. 

Sir Vigos would definitely overthrow him for that reason. 

Celine observed Sir Vigos and Lady Yasna, who both appeared reserved and daunting. They were flocked by nobles, and Lady Yasna stroked her bunny familiar while a large eagle sat perched on Sir Vigos' shoulder. Their high social status was evident through their prideful facial expressions. If it wasn't for her friendship with Yasna, Celine would've deemed them as pretentious and too greedy. Lady Yasna might appear haughty and proud, but she was actually a soft-spoken person who was completely infatuated with her husband. She wanted to appear strong for him, and Celine held a certain level of respect for Yasna. She was also the only other noblewoman who wasn't shallow or materialistic. 

Celine also couldn't help but notice Zayden growing increasingly stiff next to her. His gaze was fixed on the floor, deliberately ignoring everyone else. His ominous presence held everyone back from approached Celine. They could only bow and quickly turn away, stealing glances at her every so often. 

When Lady Yasna recognized Celine, her proud expression turned soft with familiarity. She smiled and approached the duo. 

"Lady Celine, you are as gorgeous as always." Yasna bowed deeply and gave a formal greeting to the Second Prince, who remained expressionless. "Good evening, your highness, the Second Prince of the Zionitte Empire." 

"Lady Yasna, it is always a pleasure to see you. You are glowing today." Celine smiled with excitement. Yasna wore a cream colored gown embroidered with rich colors, and her brown curls was tied back into a gorgeous updo. Her complexion was healthy and tan, appearing sun kissed and dewy.

"I missed you so much. It is so boring without you in our social gatherings. Please visit soon."

"You know how I feel about those gatherings." They giggled in secrecy. "I will send you a private invitation where we can chat."

Lady Yasna burst out laughing and held her hand affectionately. "I will surely come by and visit. Despite the rumors, I believe you look more lively and refreshing. I wonder what the reason was for this change?" She raised her eyebrows and suggestively peeked at Zayden. 

"Yes, I wonder why. Caelina seems to have gotten very close with the Second Prince." Sir Vigos appeared next to Lady Yasna, and gave a polite bow towards the Second Prince. 

Zayden, who had been quietly observing the two friends chat, looked up to see Sir Vigos' calculating smile. , his smile filled with hostility.

Celine seemed to be frozen in place, unable to respond to the sudden remark. Lady Yasna's complexion paled as she became flustered. 

"Sir Vigos. It seems that you interrupted the mood between two friends who hadn't seen each other for a very long time. I am merely an escort for my brother's fiance, and keeping her company as a future brother-in-law. That is all." Zayden finally spoke, finally breaking the tension. His smile was filled with hostility.

"Yes, as the Second Prince, may I introduce you to some of my closest connections? We are all closely acquainted." Zayden nodded and excused himself without glancing at Celine. The women watched the backs of the men walking away and entering a crowded circle.

Celine furrowed her eyebrows, wondering if Zayden would be fine without her. 

Yasna was red with shame, and she looked guilty. "I apologize, Lady Celine. I shouldn't have made such an absurd remark that could cause misunderstandings. Please forgive me. It is all my fault. My husband can be...too much sometimes... I hope you don't despise him, he means well."

"I do not blame you, and you shouldn't speak for your husband like this in front of me. I already know what kind of person he is and understand where he's coming from. I don't particularly resent him for his ambitious agenda. I'm just concerned for Zayden. He has never interacted with such a large group before." Celine bit her lip and watched Zayden become engulfed by the towering men. She couldn't even see him in the crowd!

Yasna heaved a sigh in relief, and continued to grasp her hand. "You don't need to be by him all the time, Lady Celine. It will only fuel the rumors of your affair with the Second Prince. I am sure he will be fine. After all, the Second Prince has taken lessons from his tutor and learned how to conduct himself well."

Celine widened her eyes and became dumbfounded. "Affair? Is that what everyone thinks? You should already know, I would never start an affair under everyone's nose! He is like a little brother to me! Nothing else!"

"huh?" Lady Yasna gave a confused look, then realized the situation and smiled as if she had discovered a secret. Oh my, it was all one-sided, she thought, pitying the Second Prince. 

Frustrated by Yasna's current expression, Celine attempted to stalk off towards the station with food and different assortments. She couldn't escape Lady Yasna, who clung to her until she wasn't mad anymore. Soon enough, they were chatting and smiling with laughter.