Chapter 9

Celine was 12 years old when she ordered Draco to introduce the aqueduct system to the Zionitte Empire. In her previous life, she had closely studied the Roman aqueducts for an engineering project. She still remembered how the complex network of channels and pipes were constructed and built. She had perfectly recreated the blueprints over the years and  went over the functions with Draco. When it was time to present this proposal, she was forced to rely on her familiar's male form to relay the information since women were not taken seriously during this time period. Although she was bitter about this prospect, the aqueducts would greatly improve the water system and prevent diseases caused by dirty water. 

It took multiple attempts for Draco to gain approval for the aqueducts since the Emperor was unyielding. The Emperor finally gave into the proposal after a renown scholar happened to read over the blueprints and persuade the officials to fund the project. Due to the pressure from other scholars and officials, the Emperor ordered Draco to begin construction. Thus, in the upcoming years, the land of Nour would be the first country to possess this new technology. 

The aqueducts were masonry channels made up of stone, sand, lime, and water to provide fresh water to populated areas. There would be a series of pipes, tunnels, canals, and bridges that would allow aqueducts to transport water to the city from lakes and springs. It would then provide fresh water for the people and supply fountains. 

This organization required a great deal of planning, money, and time to build. If Draco continued to lead the project, Celine would not be able to generate any profit. Her main objective was to introduce an idea and sell it for a large sum of money. Therefore, when rich officials offered a handsome amount to take over the job, Celine happily withdrew.

She undertook multiple ventures to make revenue because Celine wanted to a buy an estate in Krastia. If Celine failed to change her fate in time, she would escape to Krastia and live quietly in the mountains. She chose Krastia because it closely resembled her country in her previous life, and Celine wanted to live in an area that felt somewhat familiar. 

In order to fulfill this vision, she needed money to buy land and build a house. Celine sent Draco on a mission to buy a piece of land just outside of Krastia's most bustling urban city. She wanted to live secluded in the mountains, but not be too far from other humans. Apart from the money they earned from selling the aqueduct's blueprints, Celine also handed Draco the riches she earned from selling exquisite textiles and her untouched monthly allowances from the Emperor.

Although the temporary separation from her familiar was desolating and left an empty space in her heart, only Draco could accomplish this goal successfully. This hope filled the void in her heart and reassured her. In the meantime, Celine intended to make more profit. 

 Celine decided to sell her handmade goods. Because the Zionitte Empire was known for their textiles and spices, Celine had to invent a unique idea in order to find major success. 

That was when she realized she could create different fragrances using rare flowers from the palace's gardens. Gardens were rare in Nour's desert lands, and only the Imperial palace had the resources to grow such beautiful flowers. These flowers would increase the value of her products, and merchants would struggle to create substitute goods to compete with her. Because making a spray bottle was difficult and costly, she decided to make lotion and place them inside small, porcelain pots with matching lids.

There were many products Celine wanted to make, but gathering materials and starting from scratch proved to be overwhelmingly difficult. There were many different oils and acids Celine had to gather and mix. For now, she stuck with producing body lotion and using the leftover flower petals to create blushers and lip tints.