TwELVE*

(edited)

poppy - i won't be home for christmas 

      Glittering lights sparked up the night sky. Candy canes littered the front yard as well as red solo cups. Christmas music blared in the air as bodies screamed the lyrics seemingly drunk out of their minds. And for once, it wasn't as terrible as you thought it would be.

      I pulled my coat tighter around my body blocking out the cold air from touching my skin that dared peeked out from under the short mini dress Cher forced me to wear. She wanted to match, her wearing a white sparkly mini dress with me wearing a red version of it. The air was muggy inside the house as smoke traveled through the air and body odor lingered throughout everywhere.

      Sweaty skin on sweaty skin I push my way through till I ended up in the living room that had the Christmas tree that sat in the same except place, presents not included. Becca wasn't in sight anywhere as well, most likely locked up in one of the rooms sleeping the night away. She was such an angel.

      "Arabella!" My name is screamed out from a drunk blonde who clung onto the person closest to her, Jeffrey. Those two have gotten so close lately it was the oddest thing. And yet he still hasn't said a word to me yet.

       "Cher, are you drunk?" I squint my eyes at my best friend observing her actions. Her skin was glossy but glowing. Her hair was messy not like how she had styled nearly an hour ago and her breathe stunk of eggnog and rum. 

      "Mayyybe.." She lets out a trail of giggles as Jeffrey worryingly glances at her words not knowing she had gotten drunk either. She was secretive that way. 

      Rolling my eyes I look away from her around the room wishing there was something to do, I did not want to dance right now. It was the last thing on my mind. 

      "I'm going to get fresh air." I give the couple a small smile before pushing my way yet again to the front door that was wide open to the public. But yet no one was outside except for one person. The person I've been looking all over for.

      Pete.

      "Finally." I fall in line right next to him leaning against the wall causing him to glance over at me. 

       "Your hair." A cigarette hangs from his lips that moved as he talked. "It's ginger."

      "Its a wig. It went better with the dress." My fingers twirl one of the strands that framed my face as his eyes danced around the curls on my head.

      "Hmm," No smoke came out of his mouth as the stick remained unlit. "I like your natural hair."

       Shrugging my shoulders I pull out the lighter I had kept stuffed between my breast and the bra that laid underneath the dress as a slight push-up, again Cher's idea. The light flickers in my hand turning both our attention to it as I reach up bringing it close to his mouth. 

      The tip turns orange before smoke eventually rolls out of his mouth.

      "You want a drag?" He holds it in between two fingers holding it out towards me that I greedily accept. He begins to say something but I cut him off by blowing the smoke out towards his face followed by laughter.

 He begins to say something but I cut him off by blowing the smoke out towards his face followed by laughter