THiRTy-Six

she don't love me by zayn

TW//: mentions of death, very graphic description of death

White cobblestone brick stained from the sun scorching the very top of it with vines growing all over it stared back at me. Ocean waves crashing against a cliff are distant but not that far from this residence. There was a gardener or two trimming hedges and bushes along the vast property that was way too big for only two people.

His hand wrapped around my wrist as he glanced around us but there wasn't a soul in sight from the way that we had come. Only the ones in the car we knew.

"Come on mouse, the inside is even better." Eli's wicked lips brushed against the outer edge of my ear right as the car door slammed loudly just behind us. Turning ever so slightly I see Pete was the one for the noise and the agitated look on his face.

Eli pulls me with him ahead of everyone as the rest start to plow out but we were already reaching the front. A deep brown door that has mystical carvings on almost the entire surface welcomes us as he pushes it open to reveal a surprisingly anti-minimalist, very cozy entryway.

"It's the opposite of your other house." Any words held no emotion as my eyes darted around the different decor that covered almost all surfaces.

"I find this place to be more of my home than the other." So it was more special to him, more meaningful.

"It's," My hand brushes along the carvings as a small smile forms on my face. "Beautiful."

His hand finds it's way on my back resting just between my shoulder blades. Warm breathe hits my ear and once more he says, "And it'll all be yours."

He always knew the right things to say even if it wasn't true. This house wasn't going to be mine when we get married. It was still going to be his just like all the other houses he owns.

"Don't worry about the suitcases, why don't you go rest in the living area?" I nod at his words and grab my purse, walking over to the area that he pointed at. Inside the entryway was two deep red couches with a glass coffee table in the center. A huge TV laid flat against one of the walls with picture frames holding valuable memories surrounded it.

"Hello." James walks in bowing his head slightly and takes the spot next to me. "This place is different isn't it? It feels weird."

"Weird?" I look over at him curiously.

"Like we aren't supposed to see this side of Eli. It seems vulnerable." I don't say anything back but nod along. He was right. This personal side to Eli was new and strange.

I take a seat on the couch with James next to me, none of us not knowing what to do in this silence.

"Have you started wedding planning?" He stares down at his hands, covered in bruises and cuts along his knuckles.

"No. But I need to, I have so much to do." Frowning I had no idea how we were going to pull this off.

"Do you want me to help?"

"Yeah, let's uh just do name cards for now." I reach into my purse pulling out papers that had a list of all the names that were coming. Followed by the expensive paper that was for whatever reason in my purse. "Honestly you have better handwriting, so you do it."

He laughs with his head tilted back. Grabbing the pen I set out I shuffle through the bag for my phone, maybe I could set other shit up.

"Ara! It's for you, love." Eli's voice booms through the halls into the room as I glance towards James. He's busy writing a name on a place card too caught up to realize I was gone.