THiRTy-fOuR

back to december - taylor swift (taylor's version)

A bowl of strawberries sat out on the island counter, vacant left behind in a desolate room. A light flickered from above illuminating a darkness that lurked not that far away. Soft orchestra music drifted in the background from a different room containing a crying girl who was more than feeling miserable.

"You've become a very sad excuse of a person." A slow but delicate voice ringed out pausing my hand from grabbing one of the red fruits. I've only heard him in my dreams but those stopped weeks ago, so just hearing those rude but beautiful words warmed me up on the inside.

"I'm sorry you feel that way." Turning around slowly I find him leaning against the doorframe, a lit cigarette hanging from his lips. Smoke swifted around him dispersing only seconds later. "You're not allowed to smoke in here."

I go to take a step forward but he puts a hand out stopping me before I can even move. "It's a pity, really. I thought you were different." His words were harsh but I know he's just trying to get under my skin. And deep down it was working.

"You thought a lot of things about me, Pete." I drag his name out slowly watching his pride fall with every word. "People change when they adapt to an environment they were pushed into."

He continues to smoke the almost burnt out cigarette all the while glaring me down. His two fingers wrapping around it gently before putting it out on the white wallpaper. A now brown ashy spot making a new home on the cloth wallpaper.

"Why did you do that?" Furrowing my brows I grab a wet dish rag and immediately go over to it before it ended up staining. I dab at it first but nothing changed. He chuckles as I continue to erase at the spot that wouldn't go away. A cramp shoots up through under my skin making me pause before going back to vigorously scrubbing.

"Just leave it." Closing my eyes shut I shake my head as my hand moves in circular motions only making the dark spot worse. "I said leave it." His hand hovers over mine but doesn't touch it, instead he pulls back almost regretful that he did that.

Giving up I throw the rag into the sink not that far away but it misses and instead hits the floor with a soft thud. My heart was pounding so loudly inside my chest just from being this close to someone who knew every inch of me inside and outside and still decided it wasn't enough. A man who vowed a life with me but still left wanting more than I could give him. Someone who I once thought I knew, but clearly I didn't.

"I don't know what you're doing here but please, for the sake of both of us." I take a step back as a shadow moved in the corner of my eye. "Just leave."

"You want me gone before we've even had the chance to catch up?" He smirks lifting only one side of his smile up. Removing himself from the doorway he gets only an inch away from me as his breathe hits the skin on my neck causing my own to shudder.

Closing my eyes shut I breathe in his scent being reminded of the past once more that I wish had been removed from my brain permanently

Closing my eyes shut I breathe in his scent being reminded of the past once more that I wish had been removed from my brain permanently. Please don't leave me again, please. My hands reach up to touch his skin that I so desperately craved for only to be met with empty air. My eyes open to find an empty room with the rug still flat on the floor. Almost like he was never here to begin with.