fOuRTy-TwO

Lilac Wine by Jeff Buckley

Slowly blinking my eyes open I stare at a bright white light. Was this that light that people saw when they died? No. It's just the bedroom light. I glance down at my leg to see a white bandage wrapped around it.

Shooting up I look around to only find Pete passed out in a chair. He was here. I go to stand up but that only causes a nasty cough to erupt from me. Pete wakes up immediately rushing over to me pushing me back down.

"No." I shake my head as I try to fight against him. "Where's Alex."

"Out in the living room." His voice was small knowing full well how pissed off I was. "Uh, Sarah's here as well." He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly as I glared my eyes.

"Let me go, Pete," I demanded prompting him to do so. He lets out a sigh as I grab onto his bicep pulling myself up despite my thigh's protest.

He helped me walk out of his bedroom and into the dark room as the storm outside continued to rage on reflecting the energy I felt inside. Alex avoided eye contact as Sarah stood up with a soft expression I'd never seen on her before.

She storms over pulling me into a hug and whispering, "What now?"

I hug her back and shut my eyes. I had no idea what happened.

She's the first to pull back standing next to me as Pete stood on the other side. "Somebody in here betrayed everyone." I start off staring at the floor beneath me. Swallowing deeply I continue, "And that person knew exactly what they were doing."

Everyone shifted nervously except for one. The one who knew exactly what he did and why. The one that knew he fucked up and still wouldn't change the outcome.

In the corner of the room in an armchair, I had never taken notice before but now sat in it was a man who was at least 6'7, with scars all over his body, and a face so mean even I refused to look at him for long.

"Richard." I nodded at him as he stood up. "Please take Alex."

Henry stood up rather fast as he turned to face me. "You can't do that."

"I can't? I think you guys have forgotten my role here." I clasp my hands in front of me. "In case you forgot Eli left me the business. I am the one in charge. You listen to me, you do what I say."

Nodding once more Richard appears behind Alex grabbing onto both of his arms and bringing them around to his back. He yells in protest but no matter how hard he struggles, Richard will always be stronger.

"Or do you need to be reminded of that as well, Henry?" Another man I never took notice of stood up and took a spot next to Sarah. A smile formed on her face as she tilted her head at him.

His mouth fell open as he sat back down knowing full well he was outnumbered. With a sigh, I walk over to the fireplace leaning down despite the pain erupting through my body as I grab the matches off the edge. Leaning down I glanced back as Richard continued to hold him back.

 Leaning down I glanced back as Richard continued to hold him back