TwEnTy-fOuR

(edited)

taylor swift - starlight (taylor's version)

Cigarette smoke mixed in with the smell of my perfume. That's what heaven smelt like and God, if I could smell it for the rest of my life I would.

What if I can't forget you?

Every time I smell those damn poison sticks it just reminds me of you. Who you were, what we did, our memories, and the things we never got to do.

The way you laughed and how the trail of smoke flowed out of it. The way your hands fit perfectly around my waist and not to mention how comforting it was to be in your arms.

Now all I do is cry at the moon wishing for it.

<><><><><>

Tall buildings soared highly above my head as planes flew overhead, cars honked while driving by, and people pushed their way to whatever destination they were going to. This is it. We were in New York.

Surprisingly, it wasn't the fact that we were in the state where Pete grew up that was on my mind, no. The only thing running through my mind at the moment was "Welcome To New York" by Taylor Swift. It was one of those songs I listened to when it first came out on repeat daydreaming about the one day I'd end up here. It was like a warm embrace seeing it become a reality.

With a huge smile on my face, I stood next to the man who himself could be just as tall as the buildings. Instead of happiness filling his features it was rather a scowl at our surroundings. Party pooper.

"I hate this fucking place and all the rats." My eyes are downcast to the rat that had scurried past our feet as I frown at Pete's distasteful words.

"Oh come on, it can't be that bad! The city is huge and there are so many different people here!" I beam over to the guy on the corner who was strumming an old acoustic guitar and singing loudly with no microphone. From what I could hear it was a Hozier song but I couldn't pinpoint the exact song.

"Fuck the people here." He slowly mumbles underneath his breath causing me to only roll my eyes at him. Grabbing onto his sleeve I tug on it lightly as I begin making my way towards the corner performer. His eyes catch mine as he gives me a toothy smile and points his feet our way.

When my time comes around, lay me gently in the cold dark earth.

No grave can hold my body down, I'll crawl home to her.

Pete's figure sulked next to mine as I eagerly listened to the man who had to have been in his early 20s sing the song about love. I feel his hand slither around my waist; his grip being tighter than usual as his fingers pressed deeply into my exposed skin rubbing in small circular motions.

Boys, when my baby found me; I was three days on a drunken sin

I woke with her walls around me, Nothin' in her room but an empty crib, And I was burnin' up a fever

There was now a miniature crowd surrounding the singer but his focus stayed on Pete and me. The sun was gently setting behind him as the rays cascaded off of the reflective buildings creating a glowing effect almost everywhere. 

Wrapping my arms around my torso my fingers graze Pete's slightly making me feel him tense up next to me. Turning to him I give him a confused look as he just looks to the right of us with a look that could possibly kill if he stared any longer. I go to turn my head where he was staring at but before I could his hand is on my cheek and he's pulling me in for a kiss.

My brows furrow as our lips connect from the sudden display of affection in public but I let it slide just this once. I smile after he pulls away watching him look back in the direction he was staring at before.