fOuRTy-fOuR

thunder by lana del rey

Paris. The city of romance and not murder. 

There was an energy in the air that was mixed with tons of emotions, food that filled the streets, and flowers that floated down urging you to buy them. It was nothing like Italy and nothing could ever compare to Italy. But in itself, it was beautiful and memorable.

In front of the three of us was a building with faded pink paint, weeds growing at the edge that itself was shriveled up and dead, and the strange man hanging around who kept eyeing us every time he walked by. Hugging my jacket closer to my body I glared him down as his head began to twitch showing the obvious.

She was in there.

Living her life as if it hadn't fucked up ours entirely. She thought she was going to get away with it, but she was wrong. 

People loved to assume I was a naive little girl whom they could just push over to walk on. But for once I wasn't going to allow that to continue. For once I was going to fight back against that narrative made about me. I wasn't weak. I wasn't naive. I held something in me that screamed the opposite that I never allowed to come out and that's what the problem was. I haven't been able to be myself and show it.

We walked past the receptionist who didn't even bother to look up as my eyes judged the place harshly. Even if I had no money I wouldn't stay in a place like this. There was no elevator only stairs and with our luck, she was on the fifth floor. Pete and I walked side by side as Leo was in the front leading the way. Over the past few days, I took notes of the way he acted. He was persistent with everything he did and every single detail had to be right.

The plan had to have every step figured out, there was no skipping ahead. We had to have an exit strategy, had to have our questions ready, and no matter what we had to be prepared for the unlikely.

Leo leans against the door with his right arm and ear. He listens carefully to the other side raising his eyebrows slightly. He looked over to us motioning for us to back up and for some reason we listened to him like robots. We watched as he leaned back before forcing his shoulder into the wood causing it to break the door open.

A scream went through the air as Pete remained neutral whereas anxiety was eating me alive. Did I want to see her? I wasn't sure if I was ready to face the closest one to me who betrayed me. It's bad enough I've been able to see the ghosts of my past but will I be able to face the demons of my present?

Squeezing shut my eyes I let out a deep breath as I felt Pete guide me slowly into the room. When I reopen them I'm faced with my best friend wrapped up in the arms of Leo struggling against him. One hand around her stomach and the other over her mouth keeping her quiet as Pete kicked shut the door behind us. I jumped slightly at the sound as Pete went over to the mini table grabbing a chair and putting it near Cher and Leo.

Reaching into his backpack he pulls out a roll of duct tape, pulling on it slightly. Leo sat Cher down quite roughly keeping his hand over her mouth as Pete wrapped the tape around her wrists behind the chair. Tears fell down her reddened face, her hair was a knotted mess, and her clothes were stained and ripped up. Somebody was here before us.

After tapping her ankles as well, Leo lets go of her mouth allowing Pete to do one more strip on her mouth. She tried screaming against the stickiness but it remained muffled denying her access. I look away from the scene expanding in front of me and towards the barred window that has no scenery but instead a decaying brick wall.

I refused to be involved in the plan they held for her, not wanting any more blood on my hands but something deep down told me I'd still get wrangled into it. I held no remorse or pity for her as she continued to sob but I still held a love. A love I regretted feeling but couldn't help.