TwEnTy-OnE*

(edited)

FOR YOUR LOVE - måneskin

The seats were all filled except for two, Eli and I's seats. We were the last two to have entered the room seemingly have catching the attention of nearly everyone in it. Every shade of eye color were on us as we walked with our arms linked to the assigned seats we had gotten at the beginning of the event.

A suit cladded man stood in the front talking to another man who looked important more-so rather angry about something. Not once during this entire thing have I felt the smallest bit of calm, if anything I was craving for something to calm me down.

The first time I had tried any sort of drug was at my 20th birthday courtesy of Ira and his job at the time. He never went into great detail of how or where he had gotten them but deep down I knew, I wasn't dumb. Ever since then I would do them occasionally but I wasn't addicted to it in any shape or form. But God, did I wish I could hit a line at this very moment.

There was to be an event or a gathering of the sort after the bidding that Eli had said we'd had to have attend to not raise any suspicions onto us. Just another part of the night where a bunch of wealthy families gossip about each other and talk shit while getting drunk on wine, such a fantastic evening.

From what I can only assume to be the auctioneer starts to read off all the rules in which I zone him out getting lost in the lights that hung highly above everyone's heads. This was going to be so boring having to sit here while people fight over spending large amounts of money for pieces of art they'll probably only end up hanging in their guest bathrooms.

A hard force hitting against my ribs causes me to jolt forward only causing Eli to tense up next to me. He just fucking elbowed me and is the one acting mad? His eyes turn into slits as he glares at me before nodding his head towards the front where the guy was still going on about the stupid rules. He was really going to make me listen to him bore on about nothing.

My eyes dance around the room as I observe each person that had decided to come tonight. Girls were dressed to their best as the guys simply only wore a basic black suit, typical. Everybody loves a pretty partner but when it comes down to it, they weren't willing to put in the effort themselves.

The curtain drawls back revealing the first painting of the night, it was a close-up of two people kissing with their faces covered by veils. The oil painting catches my attention causing my body to lean forward in interest as Eli gives me a side-eye from his seat.

"The Lovers II, painted in 1928 by René Magritte. Bidding starting at the mere price of €2,000." My eyes widen at the incredibly low value of the piece. An idea pops into my head that would probably end up getting me in trouble, but in the end it would work out incredibly for our plan. Without even thinking about it I reach over and grab the little sign from Eli's hands now holding it in mine.

"What are you doing?" He seethes through his teeth leaning his head towards my ear.

"I have an idea, just trust me." Looking over at him I nod once hoping that trust he didn't have for me would appear out of thin air.

A couple in the back corner raises their sign the number 28 in bold black letters. "€2,000 for 28."

Someone else in the front raises theirs prompting the beginning of the bid war. Holding my breathe in I watch the two compete before one of them gives up which only causes me to enter in on the scene.

"€6,000 for the lady in the pretty white dress holding 13." He winks my way as I try my best to not show the grimace that wanted to appear on my face. "Going once, going twice, sold!"