Chapter 73

"Em, please don't cry! I can't handle it when I can't do anything about it. Please baby."

I started taking deep breaths to calm myself down. I felt bad that I was being such a downer when this was such an exciting time for Henry.

"I'm sorry Henry. I know it's not fair to you to feel this way. I can't help it though. It was really hard this week being away from you after spending a whole week together. I do want this to work out for you. Of course that's what I want. I just wish it didn't mean we had to be apart longer."

I heard him sigh on the other end. I knew he was in a van with his bandmates and it would be hard to have such an important conversation.

"Em, do you remember what I told you that first night we got back together at Jess' house? I told you I would do whatever it takes to make this work because you are it for me. I meant that. Whatever it takes. We'll figure it out. I'm not going to give up like last time."

I did remember and I hated that I had doubts. But how could I not with our history? I had to stop worrying about things that haven't happened yet because it was pointless. After I calmed down, Henry and I talked about his night out in the city and I started to feel better. After a while he asked me what I had planned for the weekend.

"Well, remember when I told you that Liam was visiting a friend that lives near me and he wanted to hang out? Well, that's this weekend and I'm going to see him tonight. His friend is having some people over and he invited me."

I hoped this didn't start a fight. I had had enough drama for one day.

"Of course he did." That was his only response. Not good.

"Henry, I told you he's not trying to break us up anymore. If he still wanted to be with me, he had the past 2 months to try something and I didn't hear from him at all. So he's moved past all that and so should you. I still want him to be my friend."

"I'm never going to trust him Em. I'm sorry but that's just how it will always be. But I trust you so I'm not going to fight you when you want to see him. I hate it but I'm not going to let it cause problems for us anymore. That's what he wants and I'm not going to let him win."

Now it was my turn to sigh. It wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement but I guess it was the best I could expect after everything that Liam did.

"Ok, I'll take that. Thank you for respecting my wishes on this."

"Just promise you'll call me when you get home tonight. I don't care how late it is. I need to know you are okay."

"I promise Henry."

We pretty much ended the call after that. I felt better than I did earlier so I guess that's something. We can make this work. It will be hard but totally worth it.

The rest of the day was spent doing laundry and trying not to think about being separated from Henry for longer than I'd like. Around dinner time, I started to get ready to hang out with Liam. I was grateful for the distraction. He was coming to pick me up since I didn't have a car and he wanted to take me to dinner first so we could spend some time together just the two of us. Around 7:30, I heard a knock on my front door. When I opened it up, my friend was standing there with a big grin on his face. His arms wrapped around me and lifted me up in a big bear hug.

"Hey girly! Long time no see!" He put me back down on the ground and released me from his arms. I got my bearings and stood and took a look at Liam who I hadn't seen in months. He looked different somehow. Happier maybe? Like the old Liam who became one of my best friends freshman year. It made me happy to see.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me out the door towards his car. On the way to dinner, he was very chatty about his internship and how much he was enjoying it and how great his summer was. We ended up at an Italian restaurant close to his friend's house. After we placed our orders, I decided it was time to tell him I was back with Henry.

We both said at the same time, "I have something to tell you." It caused both of us to laugh so hard that the other diners were giving us the side-eye. It really did feel like old times. Liam insisted I share my news first.

"Okay. A few weeks ago, Jess invited me to visit her for the weekend. She took me to a club to see a band. Henry's band. Seeing him made me realize how much I'm still in love with him. And he feels the same way. So we are back together again. For good this time." As I explained myself, I saw the smile fade from his face.

"Em, you deserve so much better than him. How can you keep giving him chances?"

"That's funny because he said the same thing about you." I was not going to let Liam put any doubts in my mind again. And I was not about to let this ruin our night. His expression turned angry.

"You know me Em. You know the way I was acting last spring wasn't who I really am. I was in a really bad place and unfortunately, you took the brunt of that. I am so so sorry for everything I put you through. But Henry did some fucked up shit to you too so how dare he act like I'm so much worse." This conversation was going off the rails. I had to shut it down before either of us said anymore.

"I know and I've made the decision to forgive you both. And I'm not innocent in all of this either. All three of us made mistakes but I'm willing to let it all go and move on. I really would like it if you would too." He looked down at his hands and shook his head up and down.

"Fine. I made the mistake of trying to push you to do what I thought was right last year. I'm not going to do that again. But I don't think I'll ever trust him. That's just how it is. I think you deserve better but I respect your feelings. And no matter what, I'll always be there for you." I smiled at his response. It was exactly what I wanted to hear. And funnily enough, it was almost exactly what Henry said about him. I bet they were more alike than they knew.

"So what's your news?" I asked Liam.

"Well, you're not the only one that got back together with their ex. Lily and I are together again and I haven't felt this happy in forever." He had that carefree smile on his face again and I was so happy for him.

"O Liam, I'm so happy for you! You deserve this. And I can just tell you feel better. I want all the details." As I listened to Liam tell me how he reconnected with his ex-girlfriend, I felt something that I hadn't felt in over a year. There was still a very small part of me that was jealous of Lily and still pining after Liam. I thought that part me was dead but apparently it was still very much alive.