Chapter 59

Henry called while I was lounging by the pool to let me know he was home and that he missed me.

"I'm laying in bed wishing you were laying next to me."

"I wish I was there too." I sighed as I closed my eyes and tried to pretend he was holding me in bed.

"What are you going to do the rest of the night?"

"Not sure. But I bet Jess has some ideas. How about you?"

"I'll probably just go grab something to eat and maybe come back here and watch tv. This place is so much quieter with Chris gone. I can actually relax in my own apartment." He chuckled and I tried to imagine his apartment empty and quiet and I just couldn't.

We talked for a little while longer and then I had to go because Jess was trying to get my attention to tell me something. I promised I would call him later before I went to bed.

"Em, do you care if the girls come over to hang out?" She asked me while typing on her phone.

"Of course not!"

Later that night, we were all sitting outside drinking what was left of the beer from last night. Even though it was barely ten, I felt completely exhausted. Because I had to get up so early for my babysitting job, I rarely stayed up late anymore. I said goodnight to Jess and her friends and headed upstairs to call Henry back. He picked up immediately.

"Hey babe, going to sleep already?" Just the sound of his voice brought a smile to my face.

"Yeah, last night was the latest I've stayed up in months. I'm such a lightweight." I responded while trying to stifle a yawn.

"No wonder you fell asleep on me last night in the middle of a party."

"You're so cozy. Plus you kind of wore me out."

"I can't help myself with you. I can never get enough." We were both silent for a few moments as we let the memory of last night hang between us. This long distance thing was so hard!

"I wish I could fall asleep with you again." I sounded whiny but I didn't care. I was tired and needy and I just missed him so much.

"How about I stay on the phone until you're asleep?"

"Okay, tell me about what you have going on this week."

"Well, we play our usual Sunday night show here tomorrow and then we have a show about an hour away on Thursday night. Nothing over the weekend so I'm all yours." Next weekend could not come soon enough!

"I can't wait to get away. This has been the most boring summer."

"I'll try to think of something exciting to do while you are here."

"I don't care what we do. All I care about is spending as much time with you as I can."

"So I have to ask you something but if you say no it's fine. My Grandmom's 80th birthday is the weekend after next. There is going to be a huge party at my Dad's house. Would you want to go with me?" He sounded a little nervous which I found adorable.

I was flattered that he wanted me to meet his family. And also a little scared. This was a huge step. If there was ever a question about how serious Henry was about me, this was the answer.

"I would love to go and meet your family. Would we stay at your dad's or would we drive back?"

"We would probably stay. It's a three hour drive and these parties tend to go pretty late. I have a lot of cousins and aunts and uncles and they are all crazy. You'll love them. And bring your swimsuit. It's a pool party."

"I can't wait." I was nervous but also excited because meeting his family was a really big step and Henry was ready to take it with me.

I yawned as I became more relaxed in bed. We talked a little while longer about what we would do when I came to visit him. I was really starting to fall asleep and I fell silent. The last thing I remembered hearing was Henry saying I love you.

I woke up pretty early the next morning. My bus home was at 11 so I had a couple hours before I needed to be at the station. I found my phone buried under the covers. I can't believe Henry really stayed on the phone with me till I fell asleep. He was too perfect. How did I get so lucky?
I took a quick shower and got dressed while everyone else was still asleep. It seemed that Jess' friends slept over again. I wondered when her parents would be home. I hope she got up soon so I wouldn't have to wake her to drive me to the bus station.
After I got all my stuff together, I headed downstairs in search of something to eat. All the pizza had been eaten but I found cereal and milk. That would be good enough. I considered texting Henry while I ate but I was afraid he wasn't up yet. He liked to sleep in. One little text wouldn't hurt.
I picked up my phone and just texted "good morning." A few minutes later I was surprised to get a response.

Henry: "Morning Sleeping Beauty."

Me: "What are you doing up so early?"

Henry: "Couldn't sleep so I got up and went to the gym."

Me: "Everything ok?"

Henry: "Yup, just couldn't stop thinking of all the things I want to do to you when you get here."

Me: "O yeah, like what?"

Henry: "Let's just say I'm not letting you out of my bed all weekend. Lots to make up for."

I heard someone come into the kitchen and I looked up to see Jess smirking at me.

"Isn't it a little early in the morning to be sexting your boyfriend?" She knew me too well.

"We weren't sexting!" I felt my face turn red with embarrassment.

"Sure you weren't. That's why your blushing." Damn her!

"I hate you."

"You love me."

She grabbed a bowl from the cabinet and sat down next to me to pour herself some cereal.

I quickly texted back to Henry "can't wait!"

"So what time is your bus?" She asked in between bites of her cereal.

"In an hour."

"Okay, I'll take you as soon as I finish eating. I wish you could stay longer."

"Me too. I miss seeing you all the time."

After she finished eating, she drove me to the bus station. I gave her a big hug and promised to try to visit again before the end of the summer. I really couldn't wait to go back to school. It felt like that was my real life now. I guess that was part of growing up.
     I spent most of the bus ride texting with Henry. It's crazy how things changed for us this weekend. And to think I almost didn't come because I wasn't ready to see him. I just needed the next week to go by as quickly as possible.