Relentless

I stumbled my way up the steps and almost fell flat on my face. I felt two strong hands grab my hips and catch me. I turned to see Liam holding me.

"Geez are you stalking me or something."

"I just saved you from busting your face open. I think the proper thing to say is 'thank you'".

"Yeah thanks. I need to pee. Where is the closest bathroom?"

"Here, I'll show you."

He steered me into the house, through the kitchen and into the hallway. There was a closed door by the front door with a line of about 5 people waiting.

"I can't wait. I know there's another one upstairs."

I ran up the steps and down the hallway. I quick shut the bathroom door and sat down. The room was spinning. I said a silent prayer that I would get through this night without puking. Why did I do this to myself? I needed to grow up and learn how to handle things instead of avoiding them. As soon as I was done in here, I would go find Henry and apologize for not waiting for him outside. I totally overreacted.
I stood up and washed my hands. When I opened the door, Liam was standing in the hallway waiting for me.

"Hey are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I just needed to pee. I need to go find Henry."

"I really don't get it Em. How can you chose someone like him over me? We are so perfect for each other."

He was blocking the hallway so I couldn't move past him to get back downstairs.

"I love him Liam. He's everything to me. I've never been happier than I am with him. You need to move on."

"No, I won't."

He stepped closer to me and leaned down and smashed his mouth on mine. I pushed him away but he held me against him. I had to push harder to make him stop. I squeezed past him and ran down the steps. At the bottom of the steps stood Henry looking around for me. He looked relieved when he saw me but his face changed when he saw Liam following me. This was a mess.

"Henry, I'm sorry I disappeared. I had to go to the bathroom. Can we go someplace to talk?"

He was staring daggers at Liam but he let me take his hand and lead him out the front door. There was a rock wall that surrounded the front yard and we sat down side by side. I leaned my head on his shoulder and took a deep breath.

"Liam just tried to kiss me upstairs."

I felt Henry's whole body go tense. I took his hand and placed it on my leg in the hopes of distracting him from doing anything to Liam.

"I'm going to kick his ass. Who the fuck does he think he is?."

"I don't want you to do anything to him. I'm handling it."

"You're doing a great job handling it Em. So great that he kissed you. Awesome."

"I get your mad but don't take it out on me. I didn't do anything wrong."

This is the closest we had ever gotten to having a fight and it was making me feel physically ill. Or maybe it was the alcohol. Either way, it seemed like our night was ruined.

"Why didn't you wait for me out back? I got so scared when I couldn't find you. I was afraid you were trying to walk home when you're so wasted."

"Because I got jealous of you talking to those girls. I know it's stupid but I'm clearly not thinking straight. And I really did need to pee. The line for the bathroom downstairs was too long so I went upstairs. Liam followed me."

"That fucker...."

"I'm going to keep my distance from him. He's not backing off and I don't want it to cause any more problems for us."

"You didn't need to be jealous of those girls. They are in my major. That's how I know them. If this is going to work, we need to trust each other."

"I'm never drinking again."

Henry laughed and put his arm around my shoulders.

"I'm holding you to that."

"I loved your singing. Your voice is beautiful."

"Thanks, I only did it cause you asked me to. I meant it when I told you I would do anything for you."

"I don't want to go back inside."

"Me neither. I can't promise I won't punch frat guy's face in if I see him again."

"Let's go back to my room. I can text Jess and Jane and let them know we left."

"I think you need to eat something first. Let's grab some slices at Corner Pizza."

We stood up and started walking in the direction of the pizza shop. The night air was helping to clear my head. We ordered two slices and sodas and started walking back to my dorm.

"This is the greatest pizza I've ever eaten."

"Hopefully it sobers you up a little."

"I'm sorry I got so drunk and you had to take care of me."

"I like taking care of you."

I didn't know what to say. He was always saying the sweetest things to me. Why did I have trouble believing that he really wanted to be with me? The rest of the way we silently ate the rest of our pizza.
    When we got back to my room, I sat down on my bed and pulled my phone out of my purse to text Jess and Jane. I hoped they wouldn't be mad that we left without telling anyone. Henry sat down next to me and started texting someone as well.

"O no, Bill and Nick are pissed I left without them. They expected me to drive them all back to the apartment. That's the only part that sucks about having a car. Everyone expects me to drive them everywhere."

"Just tell them to come back here and we can all go back to your place. It's still kinda early."

I had significantly sobered up since we left the party and I didn't want the night to end yet.

"Are you sure? You can stay at my place tonight and I'll take you to work tomorrow."

"That sounds perfect."

I got up and started packing a bag with my pajamas, toothbrush, my work clothes for tomorrow, and everything I would need to take a shower. I was getting too used to sleeping with Henry. I didn't know how I was going to handle being separated from him in a couple of weeks. I wish we had met sooner. This last month was going by too fast.

"Hey, whats wrong? It looks like something is bothering you. We don't have to go hang out at my place. We can stay here. I'll tell the guys to get an Uber."

I didn't realize I was wearing my emotions on my face. I had avoided bringing up summer all week. I was just trying to enjoy the moment. But it was always in the back of my mind.

"I was thinking about how I wish we had met sooner."

"Is this because the semester is over in two weeks?"

"Yeah, I hate the thought of being so far away from you for three months."

He walked over to me and pulled me into his arms and rested his head on mine.

"Me too. I've been trying to not think about it. I guess we'll just have to figure it out. Long distance is going to suck but it's not forever. And I'll come visit you and you can come stay with me here. This place has a whole different vibe in the summer. It's so much more laid back. We'll make it work."

I hoped he was right.