Chapter 70

The next morning, I woke up and it felt like a dark cloud was hovering over my head. I was going home today. Our perfect week together was over. Back to my mundane boring life without Henry. I crawled out of bed quietly so as not to wake up Henry. Even though his bed was huge, we still ended up sleeping wrapped up in each other's arms. I tip toed into the bathroom and turned on the shower. I stepped in and let the hot water cascade over my body. I was so consumed in my depressing thoughts that I didn't hear the shower door open. I didn't realize I wasn't alone until two arms wrapped around my waist and I leaned back on a familiar muscular chest.
    Neither one of us spoke while we washed each other. It reminded me of another silent shower we took together months ago. The situation was almost the same. The issue back then and now was fear of being separated and surviving it. There was still a month before school started. And Henry was going to be busy playing shows so there was a good chance we wouldn't see each other for the rest of the summer. I hated the idea of being away from him for so long. It was almost like I needed him to feel alive.
     After we finished showering and getting dressed, we made our way downstairs for breakfast. I was surprised to see both of Henry's siblings and his father in the kitchen. Anne was the first to greet us.

"Morning guys, there's waffles for breakfast. Help yourselves. So what are your plans today? Maybe we could hang out before you head back?"

Henry walked over to the counter, grabbed a plate and started stacking it with waffles. They smelled amazing but I honestly didn't have much of an appetite. "Sorry sis, I need to get Emily back. Her bus is at six."

"Wow, I didn't realize you were going home today Emily. That's a lot of traveling!"

I poured myself some coffee and sat down at the table across from Anne.

"It is but I have to work in the morning. I babysit my neighbor's twins and she leaves for work at 8am."

Henry placed a plate of waffles in front of me and sat down next to me. I guess I should eat something since it was going to be a long day.

Anne turned her attention towards Henry while I cut into the delicious food.

"So Henry, what's this I hear about a big meeting with an agent next week? Sounds pretty serious."

Henry stiffened next to me. I knew it was because he didn't want to discuss his music in front of his disapproving father.

"Yeah, it could be a big deal. He likes our stuff and we have a meeting with him in New York City next Monday to discuss a possible contract. It could lead to a record deal but who knows."

His father made a hmph sound from behind the paper he was reading and James snickered. I was furious on Henry's behalf. I needed to say something.

"You should come see him play. He's insanely talented and his songwriting is amazing. I'm not surprised at all that they caught the attention of a big shot agent from New York."

James was still smirking.

"I thought you were just a cover band that played frat parties?"

Henry looked furious.

"We have our own music too. You would know that if you ever made the effort to come to one of my shows."

His father finally put his paper down and decided to join the tense conversation.

"That's enough. Henry, some of us have actual jobs and responsibilities. We don't have time to go watch a silly little show."

I put my hand on Henry's arm to try to prevent him from losing his temper on his dad. Not that I could blame him. By the look on his face, I knew there was nothing I could do.

"I don't even know why I bothered to come back here. Nothing ever changes. Come on, Em. I can't stand to be here another second."

He stood up and took our plates to the sink. I stood up and followed him out of the kitchen. I didn't know how to handle the situation. I didn't know what he needed from me. I struggled to keep up with him as he raced up the steps to his bedroom. He started shoving all his stuff into his bag haphazardly. I walked up behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist and leaned my head against his back. He stopped what he was doing and turned around and buried his face in my neck. I held him as tight as I could. All I wanted was to make him feel better. I could feel his breathing start to even out and his heart stopped racing.

"I hate him so much Em."

"I know Henry."

"I can't wait to graduate this year and then I won't need him or his money anymore."

I swallowed the anxiety I was feeling about the fact that he was graduating this year and I wasn't. This wasn't the time or place to dwell on that. Not to mention that it wasn't happening for ten months. We stood there for a while just holding each other. I hated seeing him so upset. I wasn't going to say it out loud but at that moment I hated his father too. Parents are suppose to give unconditional love.
We finally pulled away from each other to finish packing our things. When we finished, we headed back downstairs. Anne was waiting for us by the door.

"Henry, don't leave like this. Go talk to Dad again. You two need to figure out how to get along."

"I'm done trying Anne. I don't want anything to do with him until he accepts my choices."

"Okay, I get it. It was really nice to meet you Emily. Maybe I can come visit you guys in the fall. I wish this weekend would have ended on a happier note."

She gave me a quick hug and we parted ways. Henry grabbed our bags and we walked out to his car. Within minutes, we were back on the road. Our time together was coming to an end.