Chemistry

After we ordered our food, we continued to talk . We talked about our families and where we grew up. We learned that we grew up on opposite sides of the state and we both came from single parent homes. We talked about our plans for the summer. He was staying in his apartment and doing some traveling with his band. I had a babysitting job waiting for me at home. I also learned that he was actually a junior and his 21st birthday was in a few weeks. It was one of those conversations that never felt awkward. Before I knew it, a couple of hours had passed. Henry paid the bill and took my hand to lead me out of the restaurant.

"Ok so I try to give credit where credits due. That was the best tacos I've ever had. You were right." He laughed while holding the door open for me. It was a little bit chillier now so I put my jacket on.

"I aim to please. I liked my jacket on you better." He stopped and wrapped one arm around my waist pulling me closer to him. He leaned down and his mouth connected with mine. I felt his other hand on the back of my head. I wrapped my arms around his neck and closed my eyes. I could feel myself losing myself in him again. After a minute he pulled away and stared into my eyes. "I've been wanting to do that all night and I couldn't wait any longer." My stomach did a flip flop. I completely forgot we were standing in the middle of a parking lot. He took my hand and pulled me towards his car. I felt like I was high or drunk. I climbed into his car in a daze. When he got in on his side he leaned over and starting kissing me again. It was more urgent now and he pushed his tongue into my mouth. I wanted it just as much as he did and I kissed him back. I could feel his hand move to my thigh and I found myself wishing he would do more.
   At that moment, my phone started buzzing. Damn! It pulled me back to reality. I didn't want this to happen this way. I pulled away from Henry and took a deep breath. I looked at my phone and saw it was Jess. She was probably checking up on me after my night with Henry. I decided to ignore the call. I would send her a text later. I turned back to Henry who had a hurt expression on his face.

"Sorry. That was getting a little intense. I need to slow down a little. It has nothing to do with you. I'm just not ready for all of that."

His face softened and he took my hand in his. "I'm sorry too. I don't want you to do anything you're not comfortable with. I got carried away. I can't help myself when I'm with you."

He was looking at me with those intense eyes and I could feel my resolve start to slip away again. No guy has ever made me feel this way before. I felt like I couldn't resist him. I turned away before anything else could happen. He started the car and pulled out onto the road to head back to campus.

"So its still early and I really don't want this night to end yet. My roommates are having people over again tonight. Do you want to come over and hang out for a while? I'll bring you back to your dorm later."

"Okay that sounds nice. Is it like this every weekend at your place?"

"Pretty much. It's all Chris' fault. He is always inviting people over. The rest of us just go along with it."

We didn't really say much the rest of the drive. I didn't know what to say after that kiss. It scared me how badly I wanted him. And it wasn't just a physical thing anymore. After talking for hours, I felt even more connected to him. If I let things go too far too fast, it could ruin it.

When we got to Henry's, there were more people there tonight than last night. I was pleasantly surprised to see both Jane and Jess were there. As soon as Jess saw me she grabbed me and dragged me into the kitchen.

"Where have you been? I texted and called you and you didn't answer."

"Henry took me to a Mexican restaurant. I'm sorry I didn't answer my phone. I was going to text you back but here you are so no worries."

"So how was it? Did Henry behave himself?"

"He was a perfect gentleman."

"That's it! That's all you're going to give me! Details please!" she pouted.

Before I could respond, Henry came in the kitchen. "Everything okay in here?"

Jess rolled her eyes and walked out of the room. I really wish there wasn't so much tension between them. I didn't want to be in the middle of it.

"Jess was just asking about our night. No biggie."

"Do you want a drink? There's beer and I have some Vodka in the freezer. I think there might be some lemonade to mix with it."

"That sounds good. Just not too strong. I'm a lightweight with hard liquor."

He made me my drink and grabbed a water bottle for himself. I leaned against the counter and took a sip. Thankfully it wasn't too strong. Henry came over to me and wrapped both hands around my back. He planted a sweet kiss on my lips. I was all too aware of his whole body leaning against me. "I didn't realize there would be so many people here tonight. Do you want to go out on the balcony?"

I agreed and he pulled me through the overcrowded living room to the sliding glass door. We stood side by side at the railing looking out over the parking lot. Henry spoke first. "I really had a good time tonight. You're so easy to talk to. Honestly a lot of girls I hang out with aren't really interested in getting to know me. I think they just want to say they hooked up with the guy in the band. It gets old after a while. But you're not like that. You're different."

I didn't like thinking about all the girls he's hooked up with. It reminded me of what Jess had said about him. But it was so far from the person standing next to me. I took a few more sips of my drink. I could feel it going to my head. It probably wasn't a good idea to be drinking right now. I could barely trust myself with Henry when I was sober.
I suddenly felt very tired. I leaned my head on his shoulder. We stood there in silence for a while completely content just being together.