Chapter 56

His speech was everything I needed to hear. I closed the space between us and kissed him with everything I was feeling. He pushed me back and somehow ended up on top of me. He reached over the side of the bed for his pants to get another condom. Before I knew it, he was inside of me again. He pushed himself in and out of me and I ran my nails down his back.

"Fuck Em! I missed you so fucking much."

I pulled his head down to my mouth again and he came a minute later. His head dropped onto the pillow next to me and his body completely covered me.

"I'm never letting you go again."

"I never want you to let me go."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

He moved off of me and turned me onto my side so he could spoon me. I missed being in his arms the most. He was always finding a way to hold me in his arms and it was my favorite thing about being with him.
     I wasn't sure how long we had been upstairs but I'm sure our friends had noticed by now that we were missing.

"We should probably go back downstairs. I'm suppose to be here to hang out with Jess."

"I know, I know. I just want to keep you all to myself."

I slid out of the bed and started to gather my clothes. I quick got dressed and took a peek in the mirror. I looked awful. My hair was a mess and my eye makeup had smeared. I tried to salvage my hair by pulling it up into a bun and I would have to stop in the bathroom to clean my face. After Henry was dressed, he unlocked the door and I walked down the hallway to the guest bathroom. I wet a washcloth and rubbed it under my eyes to get rid of the smears. It didn't look great but it would have to do. Hopefully everyone was too drunk to notice by this point. Henry was waiting for me in the hallway.

"You look beautiful."

"You're only saying that because we just had sex. Twice."

"I always think you are the most beautiful girl in the room."

He was back to saying the sweetest things to me. I let him take my hand and lead me down the steps. We headed towards the backyard to face whatever reaction our friends were going to have. Henry pulled open the sliding glass door and stepped out onto the patio never letting go of my hand. Jess saw us first. She was in the pool and jumped out when we stepped outside.

"I knew it! I knew it would work and you guys would get back together."

"What would work?"

"Why do you think I invited you to his show? You two needed to stop being so stubborn and get over the stupid shit that happened in the spring. You're clearly perfect for each other."

"Jess what the hell?"

While I was upset, I was surprised to see Henry was laughing at the situation.

"Em, I've never seen you happier than when you were with Henry. And I also saw how devastated you were when you guys broke up. It was stuff that you could have worked out but you gave up instead. I decided to give you guys a little nudge back to each other."

I looked at Henry who I thought would back me up on calling Jess out on her meddling ways but he was laughing harder now.

"She wasn't wrong though. And honestly I'm grateful that she did this. It brought you back to me."

"Jess, I can't believe you did this. What were you going to do if this didn't work and we ended up fighting or something worse?"

"Either way, you would have known where you guys stood."

"Wait, did Sue really invite them here or was that you too?"

"It was me but Pete and Sue were in on it. I also told Rachel to flirt with Henry a little to make you jealous. That one worked a little too well. You should have seen your face. I was actually a little afraid of what you were going to do. But it all worked out! I knew you guys could find your way back to each other. Wait till I tell Jane!"

I wasn't sure if I should be furious at Jess or be eternally grateful for bringing Henry and I back together. Even though I wasn't thrilled with how she went about it, I couldn't deny that her scheme worked.

"You're too much Jess. Never a dull moment when you're around."

She turned around and jumped back in the pool bragging about her matchmaking skills. I finally gave in and laughed along with everyone else. We walked over to where Pete, Sue and the rest of Henry's band were sitting. Henry gave Pete a friendly punch in the arm for his part in Jess' plan.

"Dude, you've been such a downer all summer. We couldn't take it anymore. Emily thank you for taking this fucker back so maybe he'll stop acting like a total dick."

I started laughing with the group and Henry tried to act annoyed but in the end he couldn't help but join in with everyone else. There was one open chair so Henry sat down and pulled me down on his lap. One arm wrapped around my waist and the other rested on my bare thigh. His thumb started softly stroking my bare skin. I felt beyond happy to be back in his arms and to feel his hands on me. He leaned over and whispered in my ear.

"Pete wasn't wrong. I was miserable all summer without you."

"Me too. I tried to push it away and pretend I was okay but it was always there. Just a constant sadness because I missed you so much."

"I meant it when I said I'm never letting you go again. You're it for me."