Getting To Know You

I was touched that he wanted to share his special place with me. It was so peaceful. It felt like we were the only two people for miles. I could see why Henry liked it so much.

"It's so pretty. I can't believe we are only 20 minutes from campus. It feels like we are a world away."

"I know. I love how quiet it is here. The only sound you can here is the waterfall. Most people don't know this is here. I knew if anyone could appreciate it, it was you."

"Thank you for sharing it with me."

He took my hand and led me over to a large rock on the bank of the stream. We sat and just listened to the sounds of the forest. It was the most relaxed I had been in a very long time. All of our problems just seemed to melt away. I felt Henry's arm wrap around my back and I moved closer to him. I couldn't resist being in physical contact with him. It was becoming like an addiction.
    Neither one of us spoke for a while. It was as if talking would ruin the moment. I leaned my head on Henry's shoulder and he tightened his arm around my back. If only we could have stayed there in that moment forever.

"Henry, this place is magic. I never want to leave."

"I'm glad you like it. It's always been my little secret but I wanted you to see it too. I knew you would love it the way I do."

I lifted my head to look at him. He looked almost vulnerable. Like he was really showing me the real him. I touched his now smooth face. I leaned in and gently kissed him. It wasn't our most passionate kiss but it was the most heartfelt. What was happening between us had gone way past being just a physical thing.
    When I pulled away and looked in his eyes, there was so much tenderness staring back at me.

"I love you Emily."

Hearing him say those words in this moment was everything I ever dreamed of. I knew I had to say it back. It was how I felt. Even after everything that happened, I still loved him. If it was possible, I loved him more.

"I love you Henry."

He smiled and pulled me in for another kiss. I put all the emotions that I had been feeling over the last two days into that kiss. It felt like he was doing the same. All the pain and heartbreak was slipping away. I never had a chance of resisting him. He had me from the first time we met. We still had a lot of work to do but right at this moment, everything was perfect.
   We broke apart and just held each other for a little while longer. Neither one of us wanted to return to reality and all the drama. Henry spoke first.

"We should get going. The sun is starting to go down and we shouldn't be out here when it gets dark out. We'll come back though."

He stood up and helped me down off the boulder. I was sad to leave but we couldn't hide here forever. We took our time walking back to the car. It really was a beautiful place. I wish I had known about it sooner.
    On the drive back, I asked Henry how he found the waterfall.

"It was by accident. Last year, I was having a hard time with school and my dad was really on my case about it. If it were up to him, my major would be business not English. Anyway, we got into a big fight about it and he threatened to cut off my tuition. I just got into my car and drove and ended up turning onto that little dirt road. I had no idea where I was but I just wanted to get as far away from everything as I could. So I parked when I couldn't go any further, got out and started walking. I stumbled onto the waterfall completely by accident. I think I stayed that first day for 4 hours. Being there put everything into perspective for me. And I've been coming back every time I needed clarity ever since. And now it's your place too."

It was the most I'd ever heard him talk about his relationship with his dad. I got the impression it was a rocky relationship just because he would avoid any questions about his family. I didn't want to push him for anymore details. He had opened up to me so much already.

"I wish I had a car so I could drive there whenever I wanted."

"I'll take you whenever you want."

"So you're my personal chauffeur now?"

I was making a joke but he glanced over at me with a serious look on his face.

"I would do anything for you Em. You know that right."

I wasn't sure how to respond. He really was the sweetest guy.

"Do you need to go back to your dorm yet? I was hoping you would come back to my place and let me make you dinner."

"You cook?!"

"Don't sound so surprised. I can make a few things. How does spaghetti and meatballs sound?"

For some reason, the thought of Henry in the kitchen was hilarious to me. I started giggling. He looked offended which just made me laugh harder.

"I'm sorry I'm laughing but I just can't imagine you cooking."

"It's nice to hear you laughing. Even if it's at my expense."

We pulled up to his apartment a few minutes later. I really hoped Jess wasn't here. We were having a perfect day and I didn't want anything to ruin it. Luckily, no one was home when we got inside.

"It's weird being here when there isn't a party going on. It's so quiet."

"Yeah this is a pretty rare occurrence. There's always something going on. I'm sure if we wait long enough, Chris will show up with a bunch of people and a case of beer."

Henry went into the kitchen to start our dinner. He came out a few minutes later with a glass of lemonade that he handed to me. I followed him back into the kitchen to spy on him. Surprisingly he seemed to have it under control.

"It smells delicious. I haven't had a home cooked meal since I went home for spring break. I can't wait to have my own kitchen next year. I'm definitely over dorm life."

"Yeah I don't miss it. Next year I'll be living in a house with a couple of guys from my band. I'll have my own room. I'm so sick of Chris and his snoring."

"Can I see your room?"