Date Night

I was a mess at work. My boss asked me three times if I was feeling alright because I kept making mistakes. I couldn't stop thinking about how Henry was acting earlier. What if he decided he didn't want to do long distance? The anxiety I was feeling just kept building as the day went on. By the time my shift was over, I was a ball of nerves. And we wouldn't even have a chance to talk about it tonight because we were going out with our friends.
When I got back to my dorm, I was surprised to find it was empty. I was hoping Jane would be home so I could talk to her. I hadn't seen much of her over the past week since we were both spending so much time with our boyfriends. I missed her. I texted Jess asking her what the plan was. She let me know that Henry was on his way to pick me up. Why didn't he let me know he was coming?
I quick got changed out of my work clothes and put on another one of my sun dresses. I pulled my hair out of the braid and decided to just leave it down. Before I could start my makeup, Henry texted letting me know he was downstairs. When I got to the door, he was standing there with a single sunflower. I opened the door and he pulled me into a hug.

"I'm so sorry Em. I was a jerk this morning."

"It's okay."

"No it's not. I acted like a child who didn't get his way. I'm just so scared of losing you."

"I'm scared too. All day today I kept thinking that you were going to break up with me because you didn't want to do long distance."

He let me go and handed me the sunflower.

"How did you know sunflowers were my favorite?"

"Jess told me. She said that I needed to fix whatever I did to make you sad."

"Wow, she's certainly changed her tune."

"Yeah I guess it's good that she's on our side now."

"Come upstairs. I'm not done getting ready."

"You look perfect. I like your hair like this."

We went back to my room so I could finish putting my makeup on. Henry informed me that the plan was to go back to his place and pick up the rest of the group and then head over to the Mexican place he took me to on our first date. He had already called to let them know that he was bringing in a big group and they were holding a large table for us. I couldn't wait to have the fish tacos again.
Dinner was so much fun. I spent most of the time cracking up at Nick and Bill telling stories of all the crazy things that have happened in their apartment. All of them involving Chris of course. I was so happy that Jess and Henry were getting along and that we could all hang out together. I hoped it was like this next year.
Henry drove us back to his apartment after we finished up at the restaurant. It was full of people and Chris had gotten a keg. I made the decision not to drink alcohol after last night's fiasco so Henry and I just grabbed some water bottles. He led me out onto the balcony. We both stood at the railing looking out at the night sky.

"I didn't feel like sharing you anymore tonight."

"I'd rather be out here with you anyway. It's too crowded in there."

"Yup, Chris said he was inviting a few people over. I should have known."

It had cooled off and I shivered. Henry noticed and pulled me in front of him and wrapped his arms around my waist. I leaned back against his solid warm chest. We stood there not saying anything for a while. A few people came outside to smoke and ruined the moment.

"We don't have to stay here if you don't want to" Henry said.

"We just got here. Maybe we should put a little time in and if it doesn't get any better, we can go back to my dorm."

"Okay. But say the word and we can leave."

We walked back inside. I spotted Jess and Jane by the table playing beer pong against each other. Henry took my hand and led me over to the kitchen. We found a little corner to stand and watch the game. I was starting to feel a little claustrophobic. I would usually have a drink to calm my nerves but that wasn't an option tonight. I turned to Henry and he looked as uncomfortable as I felt.

"Let's go back to my room. This is insane" Henry said.

I followed him down the hallway to his bedroom. Thankfully no one was in there. I sat down on his bed and felt relaxed for the first time since we got here. Henry sat next to me and laid back.

"I'm so sick of this. I can't wait to move out of here next year."

"When do you move to your new place?"

"Not till the week before the fall semester starts. But thankfully Chris isn't living here over the summer. It's just Bill and I. It'll be so much quieter."

"How come you aren't going home for the summer?"

"It's not really my home anymore. My father and I don't have the best relationship. I don't ever plan on living in his house again."

Wow, I knew things were tense between Henry and his father but I didn't realize the extent of it. I laid back and rested my head on Henry's chest and put my around him. I decided to change the subject.

"So your birthday is on Thursday. Did you decide what you want to do?"

He ran his hand through his hair and put it behind his head. It was something he did when he was uncomfortable.

"I've been meaning to talk to you about that. Last weekend, when you weren't talking to me, I told my friends I would go out with them. They would give me so much shit if I backed out now. Joe already has the whole night planned out. I'm so sorry Em."

I couldn't deny that I was disappointed. But I understood. And I was the one who told him he should go out.

"It's fine. I get it. We can celebrate another time."

"I'd rather just do something with you but I don't want to let my friends down."

"I want you to go out and have fun. Anyway, it gives me more time to think of what to get you."

"I don't want you to get me anything. I already have the one thing that I want."

"And what is that."

"You."

I looked up at his face and he had the most tender look on his face. It still shook me to the core how much I loved him. He pulled me on top of him and I leaned down and kissed him. His hands went under my dress and grabbed my butt. For a while, we just laid there and made out. I think we both felt weird about going any further with so many people on the other side of the door. Kissing was nice, though.

Henry broke contact first.

"I'm not going to be able to restrain myself any longer if we keep making out like that."

I rolled off of his body and sat back up on his bed. He sat up next to me and ran his hand through his hair again.

"Can we go to your dorm now?"

I agreed and we went back out and said goodbye to our friends. Jane said she would stay with Bill so we could have the room to ourselves.