Roadblocks

I knew it was probably a bad idea to go into his
bedroom when no one was home. A big part of me didn't care. It had been the perfect day. We had said I love you to each other. Maybe it was time to take the next step. Henry had a confused look on his face. He turn the burners down and took my hand. He pulled me down the long hallway that led to the bedrooms. His room was the bigger one in the back. I instantly could tell which side of the room was his. There were posters of bands up on the walls. He had his acoustic guitar resting on a stand and a guitar case sitting next to it. His desk contained a Mac book that was closed along with a pile of school books. On the nightstand next to his bed was a pile of books. I walked over to see what he was reading. There were about 10 books and there were classics like Hemingway and Fitzgerald. There were also books by Stephen King and John Grisham. At the bottom was a copy of my favorite book, Jane Eyre. I was shocked that he had it. I never really pegged him as a Bronte fan.

"You have a little bit of everything in here. Which one is your favorite?"

"I can't chose one. I read everything I can get my hands on. These books here are ones I like to read over and over again."

"Bronte?"

"English Literature is essential reading. I have Pride and Prejudice around here somewhere."

"So when you write, what do you write besides songs?"

"Short stories, poetry, whatever is on my mind."

He sat down on the bed and pulled me over to stand in between his legs. He put his hands on my hips and I felt the familiar excitement that I always felt when he touched me. He looked up at me with his blue eyes. I would have given him anything he wanted in that moment. Of course we were interrupted by the sound of the front door opening along with the sound of male voices.

"That would be Chris and Bill. We should probably get back out there before they eat our dinner."

We made our way back to the kitchen. I said hi to both the guys. They were both smirking at us. I'm sure they had their own ideas about what we were doing in Henry's room. Too bad they had interrupted us before anything could happen. It seemed like there was always something or someone stopping us before things went too far. I wasn't sure how I felt about that. We were suppose to be taking things slow. But there was no denying the strong physical connection we had. I still had that annoying voice in the back of my head telling me it was all a game to Henry. It was going to take some time for that to go away. This afternoon had been a really good start.
   I silently watched Henry prepare our dinner. I never in a million years thought he would be making me dinner. It was such a contrast from the guy that got up on stage to sing in front of big crowds. Everything about today made me see Henry in a new light. It really felt like we were a couple doing normal couple things.
When dinner was ready, Henry brought our plates to the table and we sat down to enjoy the meal he prepared. He told me about how his grandmother actually made a big batch of the meatballs for him and he just kept them in his freezer. We got into a whole conversation about grandparents and I lost track of the time. Before I knew it, it was dark out. Henry's roommates came and went while we sat there and talked. I loved how open he was being with me. He told me so much about his family. His mom died when he was younger in a car accident. He had a rocky relationship with his father because Henry didn't live up to his expectations. I told him how my parents divorced when I was eight and I mostly lived with my mom. My father had moved across the country for a job after the divorce so I only saw him twice a year. We both understood what it was like to have a complicated family life.
When dinner was all cleaned up, we moved to the couch to watch some tv. Henry put an episode of the Office on. I snuggled up in his arms. We both heard keys in the door and a second later, Nick and Jess walked into the apartment.