The Next Step

Something in me snapped. How dare she! I was always there for her no matter how stupid I thought she was being. I had seen her date so many losers and I kept my mouth shut because it's wasn't my place to tell her who she should go out with. But she couldn't do the same for me. I wanted to scream. I took several deep breaths to calm myself down. I didn't want Henry to know how upset I was. I decided to not even respond to her. I wasn't going to let her suck me into an argument.
A few minutes later, Henry knocked on the window. I forgot I had his keys. I unlocked the door and he got in on the driver side. I tried my hardest to hide my emotions but I knew I wasn't doing a very good job of it.

"What's wrong Em?"

"It's Jess. She texted me saying she can't be my friend if I'm with you. I'm so mad right now. I want to scream. I thought our friendship meant more to her." So much for keeping it to myself.
     I couldn't tell what he was thinking. He looked straight ahead and gripped the steering wheel. I really didn't want to pull him into my problems but I couldn't pretend everything was okay anymore.

"So what are you thinking?" He asked me.

I put my head in my hands. I was getting a headache. I was furious that Jess was expecting me to make a choice. Who does that? I couldn't let someone else run my life for me.

"I think this says a lot about who she is. And I'm not going to let her control me like that. If she can't handle us being together, maybe....we can't be friends."

My voice cracked on the last part. I started crying again. I couldn't hold it back this time. It was really sad that it had come to this. I didn't want to lose Jess' friendship but I couldn't give in to her.
   Henry leaned over and put his arms around me. I buried my face into his shirt and let the tears flow. I hated that I did this every time we were together. I never cried! But everything had gotten so messy since I met Henry. He was worth all of it.
    After I managed to calm myself down, Henry started the car and drove out of the parking lot. He started driving in the direction of downtown. I didn't care where we ended up. I didn't want to be alone. I pulled down the visor to check my makeup in the mirror. My eye makeup had smeared a little but I managed to make myself look less like a mess.
    Henry wasn't saying anything and it was making me a little bit worried. Was he angry about Jess? Was he regretting getting involved in all this drama? I really wanted to know what he was thinking.
     He parked the car outside of the diner on the town's Main Street. At this time of night, there were really only two options for food. This diner or a pizza place that sold slices to everyone leaving the bars. I'm glad Henry chose the diner. I wasn't in the mood to deal with the bar crowd.
    I climbed out and followed him inside. There were only a few patrons at the counter. Henry took my hand and led me to a booth in the back. A waitress brought our menus and took our drink order. He still wasn't saying anything.
    Finally he looked up at me and said, "I'm sorry."

"Sorry? What are you sorry for? You haven't done anything."

"I have caused a lot of trouble for you since we met. I don't like Jess but I never wanted to come between you two. You have lost so much because of me."

"Henry, this isn't your fault. Jess is being a shitty friend. And I am here with you because it's what I want. You have nothing to be sorry for. In fact, I'm sorry you've had to deal with me and and all the drama."

"I'd put up with a 100 Jess's to be with you. You don't deserve any of this. I wish I could fix it for you."

    At that moment, I realized I was falling in love with him. I felt it in every fiber of my being. He was so unexpected. He was nothing at all like who I had imagined I would fall in love with. But it was undeniable. And I felt lighter with the realization.
    I was afraid of blurting it out since I was still a little bit drunk so I quick looked down at my menu. "So what are you getting? I think I'm getting pancakes. They are really good here."

"I was thinking breakfast too but I think I'm going with an omelet."

    The waitress came back over with our drinks and took our food order. We talked some more about how crazy the night had been. Henry said it was one of the best crowds he had ever played for at the frat. He got so excited when he talked about performing. I could really tell that he loved it.
   By the time our food came, I was starting to feel better. Just being there with Henry made everything better. We talked about school and how finals were coming up. I asked what he was doing for his birthday in two weeks. He said his friends were planning a bar tour but that he would rather just spend it with me.

"That's sweet but I don't believe you. You only turn 21 once. You're suppose to go to a bar and do lots of shots and get so drunk that you forget everything the next day"

"I've done all that already. I play at bars all the time. And I'm over getting blackout drunk. I don't want to be that person anymore. I'd rather just go someplace quiet with you."

"Well I don't think you should disappoint your friends. Go do the bar tour with them and you and I will do something another night."

"I want to spend my birthday with my girlfriend."

I couldn't help the smile that came to my face. We hadn't really talked about how serious things were between us. It hadn't really come up because of everything else going on. But as soon as he said it, I knew it was what I wanted. So Henry was my boyfriend and I was his girlfriend.

"Okay then. I'll plan something for you. I would love to spend your birthday with you."

We finished our meal and Henry quick grabbed the check before I could. He insisted on paying since I bought lunch earlier. I couldn't believe that our lunch date was just earlier today. It felt forever ago. So much had happened. No matter how everything played out, at least we had each other.