Obstacles

She yanked the sliding glass door open and stuck her head out. "Emily, a word please." I gave Henry an apologetic look. He looked as flustered as I felt. I told him I would be right back. Why did I feel like I had just been caught doing something wrong? Was it wrong to kiss Henry? It certainly didn't feel wrong.
    I followed Jess inside and she pulled me into the hallway that led to the bedrooms. I felt like I had to explain myself.

"Listen Jess, I know you don't like him but he's been really sweet to me all night and all we did was kiss. It's not that big of deal."

That was a lie. It was a big deal. At least to me it was.

"That's what he does Em. He's a player. He knows how to get what he wants. He's constantly bringing random girls back here to hook up with. I don't want to see you get hurt. I know you and I know there is no way you would be ok with that."

She looked at me with concern in her eyes and I couldn't help but feel grateful to have such a loyal friend. And she was right. I could never have a one night stand with someone. I would get my heart broken. Why did I have to feel so much? And more importantly, why did I always want what I can't have?

"You don't need to worry. I wasn't going to do anything with him. I appreciate you looking out for me though. I should probably find Jane and figure out how we are getting back to campus."

I suddenly felt very tired. All of the night's events started to catch up to me.

"I love you Em. You know that right. You're my best friend." She pulled me in for a hug. I was lucky to have her in my life, drama and all. "Also, can you please text Liam back? He's been blowing up my phone for the last hour asking me if you are ok. What the hell happened when you left with him? It feels like there's a lot you're not telling me."

I pulled my phone out of my pocket to send a quick text to Liam but it was dead. How was I going to get a ride back now?

"I promise to fill you in tomorrow. Right now, can I borrow your phone? Mines dead and I need to get a ride back to campus."

"I can drive you back." Henry walked up behind me and put his arm around my waist. I knew he was probably trying to piss off Jess but I hoped it was more than that.

"That's ok, I was just going to get another Uber."

"I don't mind, I want to. I only had a couple of beers tonight and that was hours ago."

"Are you sure? It's my roommate Jane too. She's around here somewhere."

"I'll feel better if I take you home myself. Go find your roommate and I'll grab my keys."

Jess had a look of pure shock on her face and for once she didn't have anything to say. I was surprised too. Henry was being so kind to me. It didn't make sense with what Jess had told me. I walked into the living room to find Jane and spotted her standing by the beer pong table with Bill. He had his arm around her shoulder and she had the biggest smile on her face. I hoped Bill was a nice guy. Jane was the sweetest person I knew and she deserved to be happy.
   I let her know that Henry was giving us a ride back and she said she would meet us outside in a minute. Henry appeared with his keys and I followed him out the door. We walked outside in silence. I was waiting for him to ask what Jess had said to me but he never did. Jane came out and Henry led us over to where his car  was parked. It was a black SUV that looked to be about 10 years old. It must be so nice to have a car.
     The ride back was mostly silent. I only spoke to let Henry know what building we lived in. There were things I wanted to say but not with Jane in the car. Henry kept his eyes on the road and didn't say anything either. Thankfully, it was a short drive to our dorm. When he pulled into a guest spot out front of our building, I told Jane I would meet her upstairs. I wasn't ready to say goodbye. We both watched Jane go in the building before either of us spoke. Henry broke the awkward silence first.

"I can only imagine what Jess told you about me. She's not my biggest fan."

"No she's not. She's just trying to make sure I don't get hurt. I don't usually kiss guys I just met."

"I'm not as bad as she makes me out to be. I know you are....different. I think that's what I like about you."

He smiled shyly at me and ran his hand through his hair like he did earlier. I didn't know what to say. What did he mean by different? And he said he liked me. As a friend or as more? He took a deep breath and continued.

"I would like to see you again. Maybe we could do something tomorrow night. Just the two of us."

He looked at me nervously waiting for an answer. I was flabbergasted. He was asking me out on a date.

"I would like that. I have to work in the afternoon till 6. Let me give you my number."

He picked up his phone and pulled up a new contact screen. He handed it to me and I typed in my information. When I handed it back to him he sent me a text so I would have his number. I would have to wait till my phone was charged to see what it said.

"I guess I should go. It's so late. Goodbye Henry." He reached his hand up and touched my face as he leaned in for a soft kiss on my lips. "Goodbye Emily." I reluctantly pulled away, got out of the car, and went inside. Henry didn't drive away till I was out of sight.