Another Chance Encounter

His words felt like a gut punch. I quick pulled my head back before he could kiss me. Before either of us could say anything, one of his frat brothers came over to us and told Liam it was his turn to work the door. He turned back to me with a confused look in his eyes and said, "I have to go. Text me when you guys are leaving." After he left, I stood in the same spot for a while. I was too shocked to know what to do next. Then I started to feel tears well up in my eyes. I had to get out of there. I ran up the steps, thru the hallway, and out the back door, throwing my almost full beer in a trash can on the way.
     The much cooler air hit my bare arms and I felt a little bit more sober. So many thoughts were running thru my head. How could Liam think I wanted to be friends with benefits? Does he not know me at all? I'm not the type of person to have casual hookups. And does our friendship not mean as much to him as it does to me? I considered him one of my best friends. Maybe it was one-sided.
    I could feel tears starting again. I looked up to keep them from flowing and smearing my eye makeup. I really didn't want to have to tell anyone why I was upset. I felt like a fool. Because I was a fool. I was standing in an alleyway by myself crying over a guy who I never had a chance with. He didn't want to be with me. He wanted someone to hook up with and I was the closest warm body.

"Are you ok?"

A deep voice behind me made me jump. A familiar face stepped into the light by the back door. It was Henry. How freaking perfect! I quick wiped at my eyes and hoped I didn't just smear eyeliner all over my face.

"I'm ok. I just needed some air. Someone was smoking and I'm allergic so...."

I hoped I sounded believable. He smirked at me as if he didn't buy it.

"Aren't you Jess's friend from earlier today? From the quad?"

"Yeah...yes that's me. You're Nick's roommate. Henry, right? I saw you play earlier. Your band is really good."

I could feel my cheeks burning. I said a silent prayer in my head that he couldn't tell I was blushing. He ran his hand thru his disheveled hair and it was the hottest thing I've ever seen.

"Thanks. What's ur name again? There really wasn't a chance for an introduction today."

"My name is Emily. Sorry I interrupted you guys today. I didn't realize you were arguing."

He chuckled and said, "No worries. I've gotten used to Jess's attitude towards me. Although I'm not really sure why she hates me so much. Anyway, what are you doing out here by yourself? There's a lot of drunk assholes wandering around. I thought I saw you come in with Jess and Nick."

He saw us come in? I wonder if he saw me hanging all over Liam? Why did I care? Sometimes I wish I could turn my brain off.

"I went to get a beer with my friend and he had to go work the door so I decided to come out here and take a break. How come you're out here? Shouldn't you be up on stage?"

"It's our break too. So are you here with one of the frat guys?"

"Um no not really. He's a friend, I guess, and he invited all of us here. But I'm definitely not here with him."

Was he a friend? I wasn't so sure anymore.
Henry smiled at me and said, "Well that's good to know. Listen I have to get back inside but we are going to head back to the apartment afterwards to hang out. You should come. Jess and Nick will probably be there."

I didn't know what to say. Was he just being polite or did he really want to see me again? I didn't really trust my judgement at the moment so I tried to play it cool.

"Ok, I'll see what Jess is doing. Maybe I'll see you there."

He took off his jacket that he must have put on to come outside and handed it to me.

"Here. I think you need this more than me. You're starting to shiver." Before I could thank him, he turned and went back inside.