The End

The next day was a blur. When I woke up, I turned my phone back on to see I had a bunch of missed calls and texts from Henry.

"Em, please call me."

"I'm so sorry. Please talk to me."

And more like that. He had been texting and calling me all day and night. I wondered if he ever ended up going out to celebrate his birthday last night. I knew we needed to talk but I wasn't sure I could handle it. I couldn't dwell on it too much. I had to get to class and then I had work all afternoon.
    At lunch time, he sent me another text.

"Em, please. I'm begging you. Talk to me."

"Not sure what to say."

My phone rang. He was calling me. Before I could overthink it, I answered.

"Hi."

"Em thank god. I've been trying to get a hold of you since yesterday. Why did you turn your phone off?"

"I wanted to be left alone for a while."

"I guess you saw Instagram. Nothing happened. I swear!"

"I can't really talk right now. I'm eating lunch in the student union."

"Can I pick you up from work later?"

"Fine. I'm done at six."

"I'll see you then. I love you Em."

"Bye Henry."

I knew what I needed to do. We were never going to work. Especially trying to do long distance. How could I be sure he wouldn't cheat on me? Especially when he was going to be traveling around to bars all summer. And he would always be worried about Liam.
    I spent the whole afternoon dreading seeing him. Just a few days ago, we were perfect. And then we had to go and fuck it all up. At six, Henry came into the store looking as hot as ever. I hadn't seen him in days. I missed him so much. But I had to be strong. If I didn't end things now, we would just continue to hurt each other.
    I clocked out and made my way over to the door where Henry was waiting for me. He looked tired. I guess he had gone out last night. He stood there with his hands in his pockets looking as uncomfortable as I felt. He nodded at me and we walked outside to where his car was parked. I climbed in and he walked around to the driver side. When he got in, he made no move to start the car. I needed to break the silence. The air was thick with anticipation and it was stifling.

"How was your birthday?"

"Terrible."

"O, did you go out like you planned?"

"Yeah for a little bit."

"So do you want to tell me what happened the other night?"

He grabbed the steering wheel so hard his knuckles turned white.

"I didn't hook up with that girl, first of all. I thought about it but in the end I couldn't do that to you. I was so pissed at you. Melissa said all this crazy shit to me and it really messed me up. You could have told me you were seeing him. I wouldn't have been happy about it but I would have dealt with it."

"What did Melissa say to you?"

"I ran into her at the library Tuesday night. She casually mentioned that you were out with Liam like it was no big deal. She also told me how you had been in love with him since last year. And how you two were perfect for each other. And that a guy like me would never be good enough for you."

"I'm so done with her. How dare she?"

"After I left your dorm the other night, I called up Joe to hang out. We went to some girl's apartment that Joe is trying to bang. There was a lot of drinking and the girl from the pictures was all over me. I didn't do anything with her though. You believe me, right?"

"I don't know. You looked like you were having a good time in the pictures. And the way you talked to me on the phone, you were so mean to me. We can't keep doing this to each other."

"I know."

"Henry, I think we need to end this. I don't see us surviving the summer. We are just going to end up hurting each other over and over. There's no trust between us. Long distance would never work."

"Em please don't say that. I love you. I can't live without you. We can fix this."

"I don't think we can fix anything before I leave next week. This was never going to work. I think this is what is for the best. Relationships are not suppose to be this hard."

I hated that Liam was right. I hated everything about this. It wasn't fair. I loved Henry so much but it wasn't enough. I was now crying. Henry looked like he was trying to keep back tears of his own. He punched the steering wheel. I turned my head to look out the window. He started the car and drove me back to my dorm. He didn't even look at me when I got out of the car.

"Goodbye Henry."

Nothing.

I shut the door and ran into the building and up the steps to avoid seeing anyone. I was overcome with grief over the loss. I was never going to feel his hands on me again. Never going to kiss his mouth. Never going to laugh at his silliness or have a conversation about whatever book he was reading. In such a short amount of time, he had broke his way into my heart and soul and made me feel alive. Now I just felt empty.
    I somehow made it through the next week. I buried myself in studying for finals and then it was time to pack up my dorm room. I was relieved to be leaving for summer. Everything was a constant reminder of Henry. I could go home for a few months to heal my heart and come back next year ready to start over.

Stay tuned for Part 2 of Emily and Henry's story....