xxxii. why do family members keep trying to kill me?

chapter thirty-two

─── why do family members keep trying to kill me?

          𝕴n situations where you're on your enemies boat and need to think about stealing his plans, you have to remain calm and mature. That's why Luke and I were holding a rock, paper, scissors contest to see which one of us would investigate. I won, but Tyson shook his head.

"Nobody go!" Tyson voted. "Please?" 

His wide eyes were imploring us, and Luke and I reluctantly agreed that maybe it would be more fun for all three of us to get killed simultaneously.

We stopped at our cabin long enough to gather our stuff. We figured whatever happened, we would not be staying another night aboard the zombie cruise ship, even if they did have million-dollar bingo. I made sure Riptide was in my pocket and the vitamins and thermos from Hermes were at the top of my bag. I didn't want Tyson to carry everything, but he insisted, and Luke told me not to worry about it. Tyson could carry three full duffel bags over his shoulder as easily as I could carry a backpack.

We sneaked through the corridors, following the ship's YOU ARE HERE signs toward the admiralty suite. Luke scouted ahead, being more subtle than me or Tyson due to his annoying (his words) and cool (my words) Hermes powers. We hid whenever someone passed by, but most of the people we saw were just glassy-eyed zombie passengers.

As we came up the stairs to deck thirteen, where the admiralty suite was supposed to be, Luke hissed, "Hide!" and shoved us into a supply closet.

I heard a couple of guys coming down the hall.

"You see that Aethiopian drakon in the cargo hold?" one of them said.

The other laughed. "Yeah, it's awesome."

Luke wrapped an arm around my shoulders, keeping me in position as I felt my feet slip. Grasping onto him, I tried not to make a sound, though my leg twisted at an awkward angle.

"I hear they got two more coming," the familiar voice said. "They keep arriving at this rate, oh, man—no contest!"

The voices faded down the corridor.

"That was Chris Rodriguez!" Luke murmured, shaking his head. "Another member from Eleven. Brilliant."

I sort of recalled Chris from the summer before. He was one of those undetermined campers who got stuck in the Hermes cabin because his Olympian dad or mom never claimed him. Now that I thought about it, I realized I hadn't seen Chris at camp this summer.