xxxiv. i win the award for having the worst luck in the world

chapter thirty-four

─── i win the award for having the worst luck in the world

          𝕮larisse had a smug look on her face that would normally make most people consider smacking her, and I did not like it.

 "You are in so much trouble," Luke and I shared a look at the end of the ship tour. It was very informative, and I loved seeing old ships, considering who my dad was. But that sentence did not fill me with joy.

Luke and Tyson weren't exactly happy with seeing them and they only liked me because my last name was Jackson, like a Southern general. In all honesty, my brain wasn't hardwiring itself for history so I couldn't really remember who that was.

Finally, we were escorted to dinner. The CSS Birmingham captain's quarters were about the size of a walk-in closet, but still much bigger than any other room on board. The table was set with white linen and china. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, potato chips, and Dr Peppers were served by skeletal crewmen. My love for food outweighed all judgement, as I began to eat.

"Tantalus expelled you for eternity," Clarisse informed us, shaking her head. "Mr. D said if any of you show your face at camp again, he'll turn you into squirrels and run you over with his SUV."

"What a shame." I snarked and Luke groaned at the news.

"How'd you get the ship?"

"My father gave it to me," I almost scowled again at the thought of the man, but Luke gave my leg a squeeze, shooting me a look. He was probably right, I shouldn't insult Clarisse's dad in front of Clarisse. "I saw that."

Too late.

"Your dad's not the only one with sea power. The spirits on the losing side of every war owe a tribute to Ares. That's their curse for being defeated. I prayed to my father for a naval transport and here it is. These guys will do anything I tell them. Won't you, Captain?"

The captain stood behind her looking stiff and angry. His glowing green eyes fixed me with a hungry stare. "If it means an end to this infernal war, ma'am, peace at last, we'll do anything. Destroy anyone."

Clarisse smiled. "Destroy anyone. I like that."

Tyson gulped and I sent Clarisse a sheepish look. Despite the fact that she had been relatively alright with the fact that I had gotten into a fight with her father, I knew that it was a slightly sore point.

"Clarisse," Luke cut it, "Puck might be after the Fleece, too. We saw him. He's got the coordinates and he's heading south with a cruise ship full of monsters..."