"He's nothing like you but maybe thats a good thing"

A/N uh...yeah. anyone want some fruit snacks?

The blond teenager sat on the grass under a tree. He held a book in his hands the title long forgotten as he read the story. Something about some nation fighting a masked man for independence and drugs, it was really stupid and oddly reminded him of the hit Broadway musical starring Lin Manuel Miranda, Hamilton.

"Whatcha reading?" A sing-song voice leaned down to look at him. He looked up and smiled at the familiar face.

"Something stupid. What are you doing?"

"Getting ready to scold someone for running away from his house again. Why do you keep doing this Tomms? Are they really that bad?" The blond set down the book and crossed his arms. He looked down at the grass to avoid eye contact. The man frowned and sat beside him. "You've been fine for the past three months, why are you here now? Did something happen?"

"I heard him talking about maybe adopting me. And I-" He wiped his eyes because he was not crying. Big men don't cry. "I'm really scared. When are you gonna take me back home? I wanna go back home." The older man wrapped his arms around the teenager.

"I know Tomms. But you know that can't happen. And maybe this will be a good thing. Maybe you can go out and have fun and forget me. I did my best but it was never enough. Now I need you to do your best and be enough." Big men cry sometimes.

"I don't want to forget you. And he's nothing like you. Nobody will ever be like you and I just want to go with you." The man sighed and rubbed the blonds back.

"Tell me about him. What's he like?" The teen wiped his nose and wrapped his arms around his knees before beginning to tell what his foster parent is like.

"He doesn't play guitar like you and he doesn't sing. He doesn't have a weird obsession with hating random animals. He's quiet a lot and he reads and plays a lot of video games. And he had a big tv that he let's me watch movies on." The man hummed thoughtfully and continued rubbing the blonds back. "He has a friend that comes over sometimes. He really old. Like older than the internet. But he's cool I guess." He laughed and looked at him to continue. "Uhm he has pink hair and funny glasses that he fixes with tape 'cause he doesn't wanna get new ones."

"Glasses are expensive." He laughed. "Not that you'd know anything about that mister perfect eyesight."

"Yeah but he has money. There are these people that just give him money for existing I guess. And the money he gets for making sure I don't die."

"That's one way of putting it." The teen rambled on about his foster parent and how strange the man was. It made him smile just seeing the blond like this. Sure he hasn't seen the boy in a little over three months but it had been a lot longer than that since he's seen him like this. He seemed happy. Even under the wall he put to mask how much he liked his current guardian. He didn't quite understand why the kid ran away again though. Shouldn't he be happy he found someone that cares about him almost as much as him?

A shout echoed through the field. A voice unknown to the older of the two that sat under the tree. The blond tensed and looked to the man. He simply smiled and motioned to the direction of the voice. The teen frowned and nodded turning his gaze back to the ground. The ground his dad was sitting beside him on only moments ago. Now a faint picture that was slowly fading as the person's shouts grew closer.

"I hate you"

"I know Tommy"

"I never want to come back"

"I know Tommy"

"He's nothing like you but maybe that's a good thing"

"I'm glad"

"You shouldn't have left"

"I'm sorry Tommy." The person was in seeing distance now and was running towards them. "I love you bubba."

The pink haired man ran up to his foster son and pulled the boy into a hug. The blond cried into his chest and held onto his shirt as if he let go he'd fade away. He let the boy cry and whispered reassurances until he was ready to pull away. The kid grabbed his bag and was pulled up to his feet without any words. He wiped at his eyes and nose while being led down the small dirt path, through the old metal gates, and to a car.

The door shut after he sat down and he rested his face against the window looking at the cemetery sign. He heard another door shut and the radio faintly start playing. They drove in silence out of the familiar town he once called his home, past what felt like a billion trees, into a town he had moved to only a few months ago. The sun faded from the sky and in its place appeared thousands of stars. His dad always liked listening to him talk about stars. So does his current foster parent.

They silently walked into the apartment building and up the stairs until they reached the apartment he lived in. The man opened the door allowing him inside first. The door was shut and locked, his backpack was thrown on the floor, and all that was left was a man and his soon-to-be adopted son hugging.

"You okay Tomms?" The teenager nodded.

"Yeah, I'm fine dad. I'm sorry for running away."

"It's okay now, we're okay now."