aita for not telling my best friend about my son?

So I, 294yo (42 human years) male, never told my best friend, 315yo (45 human years) male, about my son, 112 yo (16 human years).

For context my best friend and I overthrew an empire a little over a century ago, meaning I am royalty. We had our fun for a few decades but my best friend got bored so he left. I did my best to rule by myself, I found an strong and amazing wife and made treaties with other kingdoms, but a trade misunderstanding brought a war declaration to my empire. The war went on for a few decades but when my wife told me she was pregnant I decided to end it. I contacted a diamond wizard and he built impenetrable walls around my empire.

Unfortunately this cut off most contact to the rest of the world including my best friend.

My son was born shortly after and my empire threw a week-long festival celebrating his birth. My wife and I were ecstatic. Unfortunately, shortly after the birth of my son, an assassin snuck into the castle walls with the intention of killing all three of us. He managed to kill my wife before anyone stopped him (he has been executed). This brought myself and my kingdom into a stage of grief. I'll admit, I became cold and a tough ruler after my wife's death. My son has been the only thing keeping me happy all these years.

The walls were left up with limited access through them. This caused the world to think the empire died over the century. I have never left, neither has my son.

But, as it is tradition the crowning ceremony is to be held after the crown prince turns sixteen in human years. My son, well aware of this old tradition, managed to convince me to open the empire and invite other kingdoms to his ceremony. I sent invitations to long allied kingdoms and new ones that had sprouted over the years.

My son organized a royal ball in order to introduce himself to the other royalty. I've been nothing but supportive of him in his decision to organize most of the events around his crowning ceremony and am very proud that he has taken his role as prince seriously. He decided to make it a masquerade.

At the masquerade I sat in my thrown and greeted the guests as they came up to me. That is, I sat down until I saw someone that was undoubtedly my best friend, a woman, and a boy older than my son. He came up to me first and started demanding that I tell him who I am and why I was ruling his empire. I started to get defensive telling him I was his best friend and have been ruling my empire since he left. He denied it until the very second I tore my mask off of my face. But by then it was time for the prince to be introduced and greet the guests.

My son walked in, made a speech thanking everyone for showing up, and let the ball actually begin. My best friend and I returned to our argument until he brought up my son. In his own words, "I thought you were dead and out of no where you show back up with a child you probably kidnapped after killing his parents." That was where I drew the line. I yelled at him about disrespecting me and my son and making accusations because of the person I was before the empire. My son had to physically pull me away from the ball. He forgives me for making a scene but some people are calling me the a$$hole for yelling at my best friend and not telling him about my son when he was born.

So. AITA?

A/N plot inspired by an OLD fic plot I had (that I may or may not be still thinking about writing). I've been seeing a lot of AITA stories and thought it'd be funny. it should be easy enough to tell which characters are which but just in case:
OP: Techno
the best friend: Phil
the son: Tommy
diamond wizard: Skeppy
and the empire is based on the antarctic empire