Playin' A Player

This chapter takes place during Season 5 Episode 7. I am not responsible for spoilers in the comments.

Marley stood behind Sam in the poker room as Patrick finished up with the customer in front of him. The man left and Marley heard the shuffling of cards before Patrick spoke.

"What can I do you for?"

Sam gave a small flick of his eyebrows before he stepped out of the way and Marley came into the light. Patrick's face lightened in surprise.

"Heard you had a poker game going on." She looked at Patrick before her eyes nervously darted to Sam.

Patrick tilted his head and studied her for a moment. His gaze drifted to Sam. "You're really gonna let her play in your place?"

"She didn't give me much of a choice." Sam said smiling lightly.

"And you're sure about this?" He looked back at Marley who was studying one of the chips.

Her eyes darted up to meet his and she nodded her head. "I'm a quick learner. And it's just a card game right? It's all about luck."

"Just a card game." A smirk danced on Patrick's lips. "You're quite right lassie."

Marley sat down at the table as he shuffled the deck and then dealt her two cards. She peeked at them and bit her lip in an attempt to hold back her smile. A 2 and a 5. He placed two chips in the middle.

"Bet."

Marley glanced over at Sam and he sighed slightly before speaking. "You can call and bet the same amount, or raise and bet more."

Marley furrowed her eyebrows in concentration for a moment before looking back at Sam, and then back at her chips.

"Call?" She slid two chips forward and looked at Patrick to see if that was right.

He nodded his head before he dealt the first 3 community cards. A 7, a Queen, and an ace.

"Call." 2 more chips placed in the middle.

Marley looked at the cards in the middle, and then at her two cards again. She bit her lip nervously. Dean had lost 50 years. She needed a good hand.

"Raise." She tossed 4 chips in the middle.

"I like you Marley. I do." She looked up at the man as he flipped another middle card into play and then started fiddling with his chips. "Your heart's clearly in the right place. I can tell a lot about a girl by looking."

Marley frowned at him. "So you're psychic?"

"No. That'd be cheating. I'm talking about good old-fashioned intuition."

"Wait, if you're 900 years old... did you ever play Sherlock Holmes?" Her eyes lit up in wonder as she looked at him.

"Marley. Stay focused on the game. He's trying to distract you."

"Does your boyfriend know you're here?"

Marley looked back at the man in front of her, confusion swimming in her eyes. "What? You mean Dean? We're not dating."

"Could have fooled me." Patrick clicked his tongue. "I raise."

She looked down at the table and saw he had placed 8 chips down. She gulped nervously. "That's a lot of years."

"Look Marley if you don't have a good hand just fold. We do not need another old person coming out of this." Sam leaned forward, his forearms pressing against his knees.

Marley glanced over at him, nervously wetting her lips. A peek at her cards, she flexed her fingers nervously before picking up the chips and moving them forward.