The Apology

This chapter takes place during Season 5 Episode 1. I am not responsible for spoilers in the comments.

Marley was sitting outside on the corner of the curb of the drop off area. She was rolling the stem of a leaf into between her pointer finger and thumb causing it to spin. It had never been her intent to snap at Dean, but she also meant what she said. She was upset with him for just forgetting about her like that, however a part of her knew she shouldn't be mad at him without knowing his part of the story.

She heard heavy footsteps behind her and then saw jeans and flannel out of the corner of her eye as Dean sat down beside her. He leaned forward with his forearms resting on his knees.

"I'm sorry."

Dean's head whipped over to look at her. "You're- you're apologizing to me?"

"I shouldn't have snapped at you without giving you a chance to explain."

Dean blinked at her, still surprised that she had apologized first.

"I should have called you earlier, I know that. It's just all been kinds of crazy." Dean lifted his head up and stared off into the distance, pausing for a moment before speaking again. "The angels nabbed me and their head honcho, Zachariah, he told me the truth about what they were doing. Turns out angels are even bigger jerks than we thought. They weren't trying to stop the apocalypse... they want it to happen. They want their stupid battle, screw any humans that get in the way of their pissing contest."

Marley could hear the anger and frustration in his voice. "Why would they want that?"

"They want their paradise on earth and the only way that happens is if Michael battles Lucifer."

"So step one is get Lucifer out of the cage?" Marley spoke recalling enough of the biblical stuff she had read to know the gist.

Dean nodded and put his head between his hands, scratching the sides of his head. "The final seal was killing Lilith. So the angels kidnapped me to keep me from stopping Sam. And... and Ruby tricked him into..."

"Into killing Lilith... which resulted in freeing Lucifer." Marley finished with a resigned sigh of realization.

Dean nodded. He seemed to contemplate saying something else to her, but he shook it off.

"So apocalyptic crap started happening all over the place, we almost died, Bobby showed up possessed by a demon and then he managed to overpower it long enough to use the demon knife and stab himself."

"Guess you were a little busy, huh?" She nudged him with her knee.

Dean looked over and saw a small smile on her face. He rolled his eyes, but nudged her back with his leg. But when he dropped his gaze from her, Marley could tell something was off.

"There's something else isn't there?"

Dean shifted his weight slightly, away from her, clearly uncomfortable with whatever he was hiding.

"That's okay, you don't have to tell me." Marley stood to her feet and extended her hand to Dean to pull him up. "Thanks for filling me in."

Once she had pulled him to his feet, she started heading back towards the hospital, and that was when Dean spoke.

"Marley wait."

Her heart skipped a beat. Was he finally learning to trust her? Sure she knew trust had to be earned, but my word was it taking a long time for him to even give her an inch of trust. A small flicker of hope fluttered in her chest as she turned back towards him and stopped in front of him. His hands were shoved in his coat pockets, his head hung down as if he was studying the sidewalk.

"It's me."

Marley cocked her head, confusion evident in her face. "What is?"

He looked up at her and she could see that he was scared. "I'm Michael's vessel."

"Well that sounds like a real party."

Dean bit his bottom lip and looked to the side, not meeting her gaze. "Angels, they need to possess someone to be here on Earth."

"Like a demon?"

"Kind of." Dean shook his head and looked at her. "Difference is angels have to have your permission."

Marley studied him for a moment before a thought popped into her head. "Wait so Castiel is possessing some poor guy?"

Dean shrugged. "The guy's name was Jimmy Novak. He told Cas he could use him to save his daughter. But he did say riding along with an angel wasn't exactly a blast."

Marley searched his face looking for some sign of confidence that he knew what he was doing, but she saw none.

"And you're supposed to be Michael's vessel?"

"That's the reason the angels kept telling me I would be the one to stop it. Because Michael is going to use me to kill Lucifer."

Marley's breathing quickened slightly as she tried to process the information he was presenting her. It took her a minute before she finally shook her head.

"The future isn't set in stone Dean. You get to choose what you want to do. If Michael can't possess you without your say so, then he won't be able to make you do anything."

Dean nodded his head, but it was clear he didn't really believe her. Marley held out her hand to Dean but he kept his hands stuffed in his pockets as he walked past her. Undeterred, Marley caught up to him and walked by his side.

"Whatever happens, we'll figure it out together." She said it quietly so no one but Dean could hear. There was a moments hesitation before she added, "Thanks for, uh... ya know... saying I was human earlier."

Dean offered no response as they returned to Bobby's room. The past few days had left his brain whirling with information he needed to process. He was dealing with the apocalypse and the actual devil, his brain didn't really have room to deal with how he felt about Marley. Truth was, he wanted to believe that she was 100% human. But she wasn't, and she never could be.

And that concludes this chapter set!

First off I hope y'all have a fantastic Thanksgiving and enjoy your time with friends and family.

Second thank y'all for sticking with me and continuing to read.

POLL:

Do you guys like more frequent updates with shorter chapters? Or did you prefer longer chapters but more infrequent updates?