Grocery Games

This chapter takes place during Season 5 Episode 20. I am not responsible for spoilers in the comments.

Grocery shopping. It seems like a simple task. It should be a simple task. But the boys had been spending more time at Bobby's, which she wasn't complaining about. The old man seemed to be doing better with their presence, and Marley was grateful that someone else was at the end of Bobby's short fuse for once. But grocery shopping for these 3 idjits? Marley wanted to murder all of them.

The amount of meat and pie she had to buy for Dean on a weekly basis... well let's just say after week 1 she learned to take one of their fake credit cards with her to pay for the stuff. Bobby had her buying a ridiculous amount of beer. And Sam. Ohhhhh Sam. Mr. Health Freak. If you are going to be requesting certain specified brands and flavors of things that Marley can't even pronounce.... just pick it out your freaking self!!

She had just finished up one of these said shopping trips and was lugging the heavy bags into Bobby's house. Of course she could have taken multiple trips to help lighten the load, but what kinda wimp takes more than one trip?

The bags were stacked, smooshed, tipping, and it was a miracle nothing had fallen out yet and that none of the bags had ripped. Some were plastic, those she put the straps on her arms, and others were paper, those she was attempting to hug against her chest and balance on top her forearms. Some may say that 34 shopping bags was too many to do in one trip. Those people lack will power.

Her combat boots tapped in front of her searching for the step up to the porch that she knew was 27 steps from the car- she had counted when she was leaving. Once she found the first plank, it was 6 more steps up and she was on the porch. From there, 7 steps, plus one due to having to shimmy a little more with all of the bags. The layout of junk was clear in her mind.

And then there was the door. Now she had been sure to leave the main door open, so that only the screen door was in the way, and she knew Bobby wasn't about to be closing it. So that left the screen door, and that opened outwards, so she couldn't just push it open. Lucky for her it wasn't really much of a door, more like a flimsy piece of wood and plastic wire mesh. So flimsy in fact, that all she had to do was kick it and it would rattle. Kick it hard enough and well, the door bounced right out of the frame.

Once the door flew open, she wedged herself, and the 34 shopping bags, into the house. All she had to do now was get through an archway and into the kitchen to put the bags down on the table. But apparently the weight of the bags had shifted her slightly to the right, meaning that she was no longer going to be passing smoothly through the frame. With all of the bags she was carrying, her view was obstructed and the wall came out of nowhere.

She didn't bump into the wall very hard considering how slow she was walking, being weighed down by the groceries. But it was enough to jostle her, her grip loosening on the bags. She had no choice but to watch as a bag began to slide loose and fall away from her. Please don't be the bag with eggs in it. Welp there it goes. At least it's not milk. Don't cry over spilled milk, ya know? But there was no splat, just some more rustling.

"You got something against two trips?"

"Dean?" He moved to take another bag from her, but her grip tightened. "No I got it. Honestly if you take one the whole thing might fall apart."

She readjusted her grip ever so slightly with the one bag missing, and then made her way over to the kitchen table. The bags landed on the table with a soft thud and Marley wiggled her arms out of all the plastic handles. Red and white lines from the weight of them lined her arms as she turned to look at Dean.

"I thought you guys weren't getting back until tomorrow?"

Dean casually shrugged, placing the fallen bag on the table with the rest. "We were gonna stop at a motel, but I decided to let Sam take a shift driving, so we saved a lot of time."