A Couple of Apes and an Angel

This chapter takes place during Season 5 Episode 1. I am not responsible for spoilers in the comments.

When Marley returned a few minutes later she walked into a room with a cripple, 2 hunters, and a stranger that caused Marley's eyes to flash blue.

Dean was standing in front of the window on the far side of the room and saw Marley enter. When her eyes flashed blue, he immediately crossed the room and stood in front of her.

"Hey." He spoke quietly, ignoring everyone else in the room. "You okay?"

Marley's gaze remained locked on the man in the tan trench-coat. She didn't know why but something about him put her entire body on edge. Her gaze finally jerked away when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She glanced over, the blue fading from her eyes, and found Dean's hand gently gripping her.

She raised her gray eyes to meet Dean's gaze. "Who is that?"

Her voice was quiet and Dean could hear the hint of fear that laced her words. He turned himself so that he was facing the rest of the room, his hand falling back to his side.

"Castiel this is Marley. Marley this is Castiel, the angel."

Recognition flashed through Marley's eyes as the man turned to look at her. He had short dark brown hair that was slightly tousled and eyes that were a deep baby blue. The tan trench coat was worn over top of a black suit jacket, a white dress shirt with a blue tie, and black dress pants. Marley made no move to go towards him, still feeling a little put off, and chose to stay by Dean's side where she felt safe.

Instead she opted for a simple. "Hi."

The man took a step towards her before he stopped and tilted his head to the side as if he were studying her. Marley flexed her hands nervously as Castiel continued to stare at her. A few seconds of awkward silence passed with him just staring at her. Marley looked up at Dean with a raised brow.

"Is he always this weird?" Dean chuckled and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Generally, yeah." He looked up at the angel. "Cas quit staring at her like that. I feel like she's gonna sprout a-"

"What are you?"

His voice was much deeper than she had been expecting. The look on his face stayed the same and Marley couldn't help but feel uncomfortable under his stare. And the way he asked that question....

"She's human Cas. Just like Sam and me."

The heart monitor skipped a beat and Bobby's eyebrows shot up. The old man traded a look of surprise with Sam, both of them stunned that Dean had just called Marley human. Marley looked up at him her own surprise evident on her face. Dean didn't look at her, he just kept his gaze focused on the angel, as if what he had said was complete normal. Warmth exploded from Marley's heart as she looked up at the man who had just called her human. Was he finally starting to be able to see her as her and not a monster?

"No." The rough voice broke her stare from Dean. "There's something in her."

Everyone stared at the angel for a minute before someone finally broke it. "Do you actually have something for us angel boy or do you just get off on watching us?"

Castiel turned to look at Bobby with a confused look. Marley was just grateful he wasn't staring her down anymore.

"Your plan to kill Lucifer..." Castiel began, turning to face Dean.

"Wait Lucifer? As in the the actual devil?" Marley glanced between Sam and Dean.

Dean sighed heavily. "We have a lot to catch up on."