Dead Men Tell No Tales

Takes place mostly between the end of Season 3 and the beginning of Season 4, and partly is Season 4 Episode 1. I am not responsible for any spoilers in the comments.

Marley walked into the living room with her head buried in a book. Bobby was sitting at his desk with multiple books opened in front of him. There was a half empty bottle of liquor next to a full glass sitting on the desk in front of him. No, he hadn't stopped drinking, much to Marley's annoyance, but he had cut down his daily intake to about half of what it had been before Marley arrived.

"Hey Bobby? Are angels real?" Marley stood in the entryway to the room with her eyes now looking at the old man.

"Well," he leaned back and scratched his beard with his head tilted slightly. "No hunter, no person for that matter, has ever legitimately seen one that I've ever heard of. Why? Whatcha got?"

Marley remained silent for a moment. She couldn't tell him the real reason — that this book mentioned angels being able to snatch a soul out of Hell. He had made it very clear that she was not to mention Dean in any way, shape, or form. So instead, she went with the vague answer.

"I don't know. I just figured if demons were real then angels had to be too. Balance of good and evil and all that."

"I suppose anything is possible." Bobby grunted before going back to his book.

Marley took this as her cue to leave and she went back to the kitchen table. She looked at the image in the book in front of her of an angel grabbing a soul by the shoulders. She sighed and rested her head in a cupped hand. Truthfully being with Bobby had been a huge help. Once he was halfway sober he helped her learn about all kinds of monsters and how to hunt them and kill them. Her address book was getting filled very quickly. But this image in front of her caused her to think about the seriousness of monsters and how scary things, that she once thought were fake, could be. It caused her to think about demons and hell... it caused her to think about Dean. Honestly she didn't quite understand it. She believed that when you died you went to heaven or hell depending. And yeah heaven was great and hell sucked, but that was all she really thought about it. It was an idea that gave her a headache if she tried to think about it too much, so it was just one of those things she accepted and let it be. Now it was true that she had stopped hating Dean, but that didn't mean that she actually liked him, she more so tolerated his existence. And to be fair, he did basically try to kill her every time he saw her. But if she stopped to think about it, like now as she stared at this book... hell? The pain and torture she associated with that name, she didn't wish that upon him.

But Dean was dead. And once you die, you're dead... unless someone makes a demon deal for you... but other than that you stay dead.

Marley shut the book, done with dwelling on the depressing topic, and went to heat up some hamburger helper for herself and Bobby. The pair had settled into a routine throughout the past couple weeks. Marley did the cooking and whatever cleaning she felt like and Bobby did nothing. But he was eating food and in a halfway, okay quarter of the way, decent living environment, which meant that he could help Marley learn about monsters, and that was what she cared about. Once she had the pan heating on the stove, she poked her head in to where Bobby was.

"Do you want some salad tonight?"

"Rule number 18: No salad." He reminded her without looking up.

"How about salad tonight." She pressed again.

"Rule number 22: Do not question rule number 18." Still reading the book.

Marley rolled her eyes and walked back into the kitchen. Bobby had been adding rules constantly and quite honestly Marley didn't particularly care. She did find it hilarious that he remembered every single one and always knew the correct number. Rule 22 had been added 2 days after rule 18.