When the Levee Breaks

This chapter takes place during Season 4 Episode 21. I am not responsible for spoilers in the comments.

They had been driving for a little over half an hour in complete, utter, painstaking silence. Marley had walked out to the car with her head down and slid into the passenger seat without so much as a glance at Dean.

When the Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin was playing over the speakers from one of Dean's many cassette tapes as Marley watched the mountains roll by the horizon. She wanted to get out there, running— running away from all of her problems, most of which where currently driving her.

For the briefest of moments Marley let her gaze drift to Dean. His green eyes stared out the windshield with a slight intensity, but there was also a glimmer of calmness that she rarely saw in him. His left hand was holding the top of the wheel, not loose or tight, he was just holding it naturally- like an extension of his body. She noticed how his thumb tapped along to the beat on the steering wheel-

And that was when she had to look away — when a smile almost came onto her face. She was supposed to be getting over him, not noticing his adorable little quirks. Her eyes darted to the highway exit sign, Route 79- Exit 2 Miles. It was the closest one they would pass that could take her back home.

Before she could think herself out of it, she reached her hand forward and paused the tape. Dean's green eyes latched onto her hand, flicked up to her, then back to her hand, and then back up to her with a 'what the heck do you think your doing? You did not just stop my music' look on his face.

"Just drop me off at the next exit." Her voice was quiet, but it didn't waver.

The annoyance in his green eyes changed to confusion. "What?"

Marley shifted her gaze to her hands in her lap. "Look I don't want to be here and I know you definitely don't want me here. So at the next exit just drop me off and I'll be on my way. You can tell Bobby that everything went fine and I left after we got Sam."

Dean looked at her with furrowed brows for as long as he could before looking back at the road.

"What?" He said again, his voice going higher and holding a tone of disbelief. "Let me get this straight. You drive all the way to Bobby's to help Sam and now you just want to call it quits while we're going to get him?"

Marley closed her eyes before speaking in an emotionless tone. "Yup."

She just wanted out of this conversation, out of this car. Dean glanced at her out of the corner of his eye and shook his head, his jaw clenching and unclenching.

"Right. Okay." His voice was tense.

Soon after, Dean pulled off at the exit and drove off the road, slightly into the grass before putting the car in park. Marley climbed out of the car and walked away, hands shoved in her jacket pockets, head down. Dean's right hand raised to his keys, ready to start driving again and get to his brother.

"You idjit! She's a girl, not a monster."

His mind flashed back to all the moments he had spent with Marley. They weren't completely terrible. Sure she could be a pain in the butt at times, but ultimately he liked being with her.

"So tell me what kind of person sees a shredded guy on the floor and less than an hour later is ready to eat pie?"

Marley chuckled despite herself and picked up a mini blueberry pie.

"That's the funniest thing you said so far."

She smirked at him as she walked away and out the door.