Speak of the Devil

This chapter takes place during Season 5 Episode 10. I am not responsible for spoilers in the comments.

It was about 3 hours later when Marley's eyes finally fluttered open again. She watched as the boys darted around the store, grabbing things from salt to nails to wires. Her brow furrowed in confusion, what was happening? When Sam walked close enough to her, she spoke up, her voice coming out scratchy and gravely.

"Sam," The man froze and turned to her, relief washing over his face as he saw her awake. "What are you guys doing?"

"Dean!" He called out, before squatting next to Marley. "We're building a bomb... to kill the hellhounds."

Dean came into sight from around one of the shelves and his body visibly relaxed when he saw Marley's eyes were open.

"A bomb?"

Dean squatted in front of her, next to his brother. "We know where the devil is gonna be. So we're gonna leave through the roof and then Jo is gonna let the hellhounds in and blow this place to h-"

"Jo?" Marley's brain flashed with images from the fight. The hellhound had shredded her. Marley's eyes widened and she looked at Sam. "Is she...?"

Sam glanced downwards, his hands wringing in front of him. "She's alive right now but..."

Marley's eyes filled with sadness and she glanced at Dean, noticing he was also studying the ground. "Can I have some water?"

"Yeah." Dean immediately stood to his feet, happy to have anything to take his mind off Jo. "Yeah, I got it."

Marley watched him leave before her hand reached out and grabbed Sam's hand. He lifted his eyes to meet her's, surprised by her sudden movement.

"How's Ellen?"

"Physically she's fine. But with Jo not even able to walk..."

Marley began to nod in understanding, but stopped short, wincing in pain from her neck wound. And then confusion settled in again, her gaze darting from the far end of the store to the doors. "If she can't walk, how is she supposed to let the hellhounds in?"

Sam dipped his head, his voice quiet when he spoke. "Ellen is staying behind."

Marley's eyes widened, her lips parting in shock. But she was her mom. Of course she wouldn't let her be alone in her final moments. She sat there in silence with Sam, just thinking about the events that had led them to this moment where the only option was suicide.

"Here." Dean spoke softly as he handed her a cup of water.

Marley took it from him mumbling a thank you. The water slid down her throat, quenching her thirst and relieving some of the rawness she had felt from screaming.

"We need to finish the bombs, but just yell if you need anything okay?"

Dean looked at her with an emotional intensity she had only seen a handful of times before. But she just mumbled a quiet "yes", not wanting to move her head again to nod, and felt him gently squeeze her hand before he and Sam walked away.

They finished the bombs and Marley heard them saying their goodbyes to one another. Sam walked over to Marley and helped her stand to her feet, standing on her right side so she could use him as a crutch considering her leg wasn't healed. She winced as Sam wrapped his arm around her side and he froze.

"You okay?"

"Not gonna lie, I've been better."

She took a minute, her eyes squeezed shut in pain, and just focused on breathing. Eventually, the pain slowly ebbed away and she gave Sam the okay to begin walking. He complied, but he was noticeably hesitant in every move he made with her.