Chapter Forty-Four

Alfred dried his hair as he stared in the mirror after a shower and getting decent. He groaned and placed the towel back at its place, heading to the dining room for breakfast where he saw his mother and didn't bother hiding his surprise. Kendall smiled at his face which his mother disapproved.

"What's with the face?" She asked

"I'm just trying to remember the last time you were seated here" he said "it's surprising you even remember the way here" Kendall giggled.

"You seem to be disrespecting your mother" he rolled his eyes

"She finally remembered she's a mother" he mumbled but she caught in his words and made a mental note to punish him later.

Alfred's mind suddenly went back to the previous night. Kaitlyn's words hurt him beyond his understanding and the way he reacted when Roland was trying to molest her was something he couldn't wrap his mind around. Then came Troy kissing her. That hurt the most because Troy was his friend and he felt a pang of betrayal seeing them together.

He unleashed the monster he had hidden years ago and put on the leash of calmness, confidence and critical thinking to keep it intact as his anger had cost at him a lot and wasn't ready to lose someone else due to it. Especially not Kaitlyn. Or his friends.

Wait what? Kaitlyn? He asked himself. He had always hated the fact that she made him feel things he shouldn't be feeling. She made him lose control of his emotions. And he tried resenting her for it. But no matter how many times he denied it, he knew he was in love with her. As he had always been. And meeting her again after all the years had passed by, just made his feelings stronger. Ever since the first time his eyes met hers on her first day at school, he found it hard to control himself around her.   

"Are you fine?" Kendall asked when she he had tensed look and he had stopped eating.

"Yeah I'm fine" he replied and stood "I'll be in my room"

"Prince, get back" Elizabeth called. He ignored her and continued walking to the elevator with his hands in his pockets.

"Have you seen what you've turned him into?" Kendall asked making her mother glare at her

"It was his stubbornness and impulsiveness that caused it"

"Yeah right. As if you'll ever admit it's your fault even if you're about to die"

"Where is Alfred?" Harry suddenly appeared dressed in his navy blue Armani suit ready to go to work even though it was a weekend.

"His room. Even eating has been made hard for him" Kendall said throwing a light glare at her mother. Harry nodded and sat as the maids entered with another round of breakfast. He was aware of the tension between his wife and her children but chose to ignore it and drown himself in the delusion that everything was perfect. And his work. He felt it was somewhat his fault as he did nothing to stop his wife in the vile act she did which changed their lives.

"That's okay. He's probably just stressed about school" he said even though he knew it was a blatant lie.

"I'll go check if he's okay" she smiled but it wasn't the type that reached the ear. She stood and left the tensed atmosphere to find her younger brother, heading to his room first.

Her heart broke when she saw he wasn't there. She felt her throat tighten and the lump increasing when she heard his yelling from outside. Following the direction of the faint noise, she stopped at the last door on the hallway and blinked back the tears as she opened the door and the mess made her break inside but tried staying composed for the sake of her brother. He was slumped on the floor on his knees, his hair covering half of his face and his left hand was bloody. She walked over to him, careful not to step on the glass pieces on the floor and squatted in front of him and the moment he looked up to her, he hugged her and she let the tears flow.