Chapter Sixty-Two

Alfred slammed the entrance door shut and it echoed round the living room in front of him. The foyer that usually had staffs roaming around was unusually empty and quiet making him instantly regret leaving The Santiago Mansión before Kaitlyn woke up. He left the sticky note on the bathroom knowing that was the first place she usually want to after she woke up during her few weeks staying with him and the ones they spent camping. Hopefully, she would understand him. First the hospital and now this; when was he ever going to stop disappointing her.

He walked into Kendall's room to see that she was already up and dressed. She smiled when she saw his  reflection in the mirror in front of her where she was straightening her hair pin straight before tying it into her signature high ponytail.

"Where's mum?" Was the first question he asked making her turn to him with a surprised look on her face.

"Why are you asking about mum so early in the morning and dressed in yesterday's clothes? Are you just coming back?"

"Yeah. Mum texted me that there's something going on with the company so I was needed"

"And you believed? Mum probably found out you slept over at Kaitlyn's so she wanted to bring you back" Alfred ran a hand through his hair. "And she knows LD is your weakness so she used it against you"

"I should have known. Why didn't I think about this before?" She rolled her eyes and turned back to the mirror.

"How was it anyway? You know, your night with Kaitlyn"

"It was okay" he stormed out of the room before she got the chance to ask him another question. If Kendall's theory was right she was going to have it from him.

He barged into her office where he knew she would be at that time of the day or any other time she was in the house. He had locked up the study room after his father's death so she couldn't go inside.

Elizabeth looked up from the files she was scanning and smirked when she saw her son at her doorstep with Claire behind him holding a steaming hot cup of coffee. Alfred walked towards the large mahogany desk and placed both hands on it.

"What is the meaning of this behavior of yours?" She asked "and why are you dressed like this?"

"I don't think what he wears matter" Claire said with a smirk "he looks good in everything"

"Claire" Elizabeth warned and Claire pouted, handing over the cup of coffee to Elizabeth who took it.

"I'm not wrong though" Claire insisted "he's a spicy meal on his own. Hot, intelligent, handsome, cold" she gave him a flirtatious look at the last word and he glared at her.

"Dare you say another word" Alfred warned "and you won't have anymore mouth to speak with"

"What? You're going to kiss me numb?"

"Claire, that's enough" Elizabeth warned for the second time and turned to her son. "Sit if you want us to have a decent conversation" he sighed but obeyed his mother's order. He could tell she was in a good mood with the way she was giving glances here and there to Claire who also seemed jovial than usual. She usually always had a wicked smile on which could easily be mistaken for an innocent one and perfectly complimented her not so innocent self.

Alfred partly blamed his mother for making Claire the way she was and partly blamed Claire's greed. He would have sworn she was Elizabeth's daughter with the way she was just like his mother; manipulative and almost psychotic in a subtle way.

"What was the need to call me so early in the morning?" He asked, making his voice a little deeper so as to tell her he meant business. Leaving Kaitlyn wasn't an easy thing for him to do but LD was equally important.