Chapter Fifty-Seven

Alfred clenched his jaw as the main dish was served while his mother continued to talk about his wedding and business with Mr. Jones. Mrs. Jones kept inserting unnecessary comments here and there much to the annoyance of everyone including her husband. So she decided to turn her attention to the kids.

"How's studying, Alfred?" She asked

"It's great. What else do you want to know?"

"That's good. Haisley is also doing well. Not so great though. I keep telling her to improve but she's stuck in one place. All she and her sister ever do is throw parties. But that's what a real wife should do. The husband takes care of the business and the wife entertains the guests. But would you like to tutor her?"

"I don't need a tutor" Haisley argued

"Besides, I have other things to do than tutor Haisley" Alfred added. "But i could get her one if she wants"

"I don't need one" she insisted.

"Of course you do" her mother butted

"The same way I do" Vesper added cheekily making her twin to glare at her but she just smiled, clearly enjoying her mother embarrassing her sister "there's nothing wrong with admitting it"

"Exactly. And what's got you busy that you can't take out time to tutor your fiancée? Is it that Hernandez girl-?"

"Kaitlyn" he interrupted her a little loudly with clenched fists and gritted teeth. "Her name is Kaitlyn" Elizabeth and Mr. Jones turned to them noticing the shift in atmosphere "and Haisley isn't my fiancée"

"Yet" Elizabeth added "you and Haisley are going to get married and the engagement party will be held immediately after your graduation. I thought we had decided on that so I don't know what the commotion is all about. And Valerie" Mrs. Jones turned to her "My son has no business with Kaitlyn Hernandez. They are merely acquaintances and share mutual friends. That's all"

"Kaitlyn isn't merely-" Kendall squeezed his hand stopping him from defending his relationship with Kaitlyn. He gave her a look of disbelief and she merely shook her head no.

"Oh that's great cause I saw both of them-"

"That's okay, Valerie" Mr. Jones interrupted his wife. "Eat" the dining went silent again except for the silent whispers of Mr. Jones and Elizabeth been heard when Valerie Jones decided to break it again.

"How about you, Kendall?" She asked "you've been home for quite a lot of time. Is everything all right?"

"Mum!" Vesper cautioned "you can't be asking such questions"

"What? I'm just curious"

"Well keep your curiosity in your pockets" Alfred demanded

"Actually, Mrs. Jones" Kendall called "I'm just here cause I missed my family. As you know, I'm far away from home; in Vietnam. And it was good I came you saw what happened to dad"

"Yes sorry about your father. But don't you think you should go back to your home?" Mrs. Jones asked again. Her high pitched voice annoyed Alfred beyond limits and he clenched the fork in his hand "as you can see he didn't come to your father's funeral which was very inappropriate. And you should start planning for a child now"

"You're not supposed to say such things" Haisley warned

"Well i don't see how that is your problem" Alfred yelled. Elizabeth shook her head, giving them her undivided attention "whatever happens to Kendall and her family is none of your business. If she wants a child or not it's her business. The only reason she is been quiet is she doesn't want to be rude. But I do" he pushed his plate away and stood, dragging the chair noisily along "I'm done eating"