Baking

Leo

I leaned against the shower wall and sighed.

"I'm so stupid"

I had the chance to ask her about everything and I threw it away. What's even worse is that I really cared more about her well being than learning what she knows.

I had fucked up big time.

No I don't care, I'm just earning her trust so she can tell me more about what she knows and open up to me on her own.

That's what I'd been trying to convince myself and it wasn't working.

I got out of the shower and dried myself off before putting clothes on. I had to meet Ares and Nate at our base.

I couldn't get her out of my head as I drove to the base. I should really tell Nate and Ares about her, but I don't want to. I don't want her to get in trouble. The fact that I was risking everything for her safety was concerning, but it was mostly because I knew I could handle it without putting her in danger. She was seventeen. I didn't want to ruin her life like I ruined mine.

The time I'd spent with her today was making me torn. She looked so carefree, not guarded and annoyed like she usually is around me and I enjoyed every second of it. I forgot about everything else and my goal switched from learning about what she knows about our world to learning more about her and just her.

"Where have you been all day?" Nate asked when I walked in. He was eating an apple.

"Out"

"With your other friends? Wow Leo I didn't think you would cheat on us"

"What other friends?" I heard Ares and looked up to see him walking down the stairs.

"I was just out taking a walk. Needed to clear my head" I said trying to hide my nervousness. I could handle Nate, barely, but with Ares in the room I had to work extra hard.

"Out taking a walk for like ten hours?" Nate asked before biting into his apple.

I won't lie, I felt bad for keeping it a secret from both of them, but I had to for her.

I can't believe I'm lying to my friends, the only family I had, for a girl.

But she's not just any girl. She's Tessa.

"Leo, my office. Now" Ares said and went back up the stairs.

I sighed. I felt like a kid who was about to get lectured. Ares wasn't much older than me, but he had more experience in almost everything and he had been through some tough situations. Nate too, but Nate didn't let that take away his playful,"happy" personality.

"Leo" Nate said before I could leave the room. I hummed in reply, "I get that it's probably something serious and that you need time, but I'm always here for you" He said and gave me a smile.

Seeing him actually smiling instead of smirking like he usually does made me feel even worse about keeping Tessa a secret from him.

"Thank you" I said trying to smile back and left to go see Ares.

When I went in he was sitting in his chair his head leaning back and his eyes closed. The guy was exhausted.

He opened his eyes and sighed, "At least tell me you're not in danger"

Could I really guarantee that? I didn't know what Tessa has gotten herself into and I wouldn't back out if I had to protect her.

"I think I am not. Look, it's nothing harmful to us. It's about my private life. I don't want to talk about it yet"