Like a Married Couple

A/N So I know I haven't updated this story in a while and I don't know if anyone is still reading but I am determined to see the story through and I'll try not to be such a sucky author

"Emmett says you two are fighting again." Alice spoke in something of a sing song voice as she walked into my cabin with Renesme trailing behind.
I sighed as I sat up on the couch I had been lying on.
I folded my arms across my chest and huffed. "He's being impossible." I muttered.
Alice shared a look with Renesme and they both grinned as if they knew something I didn't.
"What is it?" I asked not liking being left out.
"Nothing." Alice spoke in another melodic tone as she sank down on the couch next to me.
I narrowed my eyes at her and Renesme who still couldn't fight back a smile.
"Come on guys, spill. What am I missing here?" I asked them.
Alice and Renesme shared another grin.
Alice looked back at me and shrugged.
"Renesme just agrees with me that you and Emmett fight like some kind of old married couple." Alice stated.
I felt the blood tint my cheeks pink.
"We do not!" I protested.
The two girls shared another knowing look.
"Whatever you say." Alice sang with a cheeky smile on her face.
I slumped down on the couch in the little living area.
"Emmett is just... infuriating and exhausting and annoying and - arg! He just drives me crazy sometimes. I mean how dare he assume he knows all about me? He doesn't know me!" I snapped.
I looked up to see Alice and Renesme staring at me bewildered.
I let out an exhausted sigh. "I'm sorry guys," I ran a hand through my hair in frustration. "I just - I... I really don't know what to do when it comes to Emmett sometimes."
Alice smiled softly and came to gracefully settle into the chair besides me. "I understand. I mean I've only lived with him for a couple of hundred years." She grinned.
I let out a snall laugh.
"I guess that makes you more of an expert."
"All guys are exhausting." Renesme joined us. "Vampire, werewolf, human... They all tend to get under your skin sometimes. Take Jacob for instance, he's so hot."
I furrowed my brows at Bella's daughter.
"I don't really see how that's a problem."
"No. I mean he's really hot. His temperature, I mean. It's a wolf thing. I try not to be bothered by it but sometimes I feel like I'm hugging a heater."
I giggled at the absurdity of this conversation.
"But I'll admit." Renesme continued. "On those cold days when he's not around... I miss my little heater and I appreciate him even more." She spoke with this little glint in her eyes and I really did believe at that moment how much she loved her werewolf.
I looked at Alice and frowned. "You still believe I have feelings for Emmett, don't you?"
Alice gave me a small smile. "I can see the future, Sophie. Not feelings. But when I look at you and Emmett and how you look at each other... I know that there's something there..."
I swallowed.
Did she really see that by just looking at us?
By looking at me?
Was I leading Emmett on by how I was acting?
By Letting him do all this for me?
I felt guilt eat at me.
Why was Emmett still very much a part of my life no matter how much I tried to get away from him, he came back.
It wasn't fair to either of us if we were going to move on.
It wasn't fair to Alec.
I felt a deeper wave of guilt when I realised that I had almost forgotten about him and everything that was going.
How could I be so inconsiderate?
Maybe he had been right about when he called me selfish.
When he had said I was making things about me instead of 'us'.
"I'm with Alec now." I spoke, trying to sound confident but failing miserably.
Why was it so hard to say that now?
Alice and Renesme shared a look.
I tried to push the thoughts back. I now it was selfish but I really didn't want to face this now.
I was more worried about Alec and how his confrontation with Aro was going.
"Alice..." I called. "Have you had any... er... visions lately? About Alec?"
Alive pursed her lips and was quiet for a little while longer than I thought she should've been. "Nothing specific." She finally spoke.
I wanted to interrogate her further but at that moment, the door to the cabin swung open and the tan girl I had come to know as Leah, the only female werewolf, in Jacob's pack walked in with Bella.
"Hey, I didn't know we were having a girl's day." Bella spoke as she wrapped an arm around Renesme and kissed her forehead.
"We were just discussing boys." Alice winked at me.
Leah stood a little further away from us.
I didn't know what her history was with the vampires was exactly but she didn't seem all that comfortable around Vampires.
I noted that she preferred to be around by herself in the woods most of the time.
"Shame on you for leaving me out." Bella said and I was grateful that she didn't bring Emmett up. "I hate to break up this little conference but we seem to have guests."
I wondered how many more vampires the Cullens could round up.
I assumed I was supposed to go out and greet them as well.
I just prayed that they wouldn't hate me like those Romanian vampires did.
I got up, ready for Bella to lead the way.
We all walked out of the cabin.
There was no one new out here. Just the same people.
"Not here." Bella told me as she started walking in the other direction.
Alice stayed back and I went with Leah, Bella and Renesme through the main cabin to the front yard.
Then I saw them.
It was hard to miss the dark clothed pale people.
Jacob and four other of his werewolf kin formed a line protectively in front of them, prohibiting them from crossing some invisible barrier.
I walked ahead of Bella this time and rushed to the scene.
There were five volturi members on their dark hoods; my mother, Jane, Felix, Demetri and Heidi.
Jane was glowering at Jacob.
"Move before I make you mutt." She seethed.
I quickly rushed to the scene.
Jacob furrowed his brows at me.
"Friends of yours?" He asked.
I nodded. "Yeah."
He moved away reluctantly and let me walk towards them.
My mother immediately rushed to weds me but I didn't let her touch me.
She was still part of the reason I was kidnapped and forced to leave my dad.
"Sophie." She spoke in obvious relief, looking like she desperately wanted to lift her hand out to me.
"I hope you guys aren't here to take me back." I told them.
"We're here to help." It was Felix who spoke. He gave me a small grin and added; "Honest." With his hands held up.
I scanned all their faces looking for double meaning but I honestly couldn't tell.
"What does Aro think about you being here?" I asked.
"We're not exactly following him right now." My mother spoke.
I looked at the rest of them. Bitterness was on their faces.
Wait. Did they run away?
Did Alex manage to convince him of what I told him?
"You're welcome here as long as you don't start any trouble." Bella announced. She had joined me and stood by my side.
"All these vampires in one place, what could go wrong?" I heard Leah mutter, her voice dripping with sarcasm.
"We're here for Sophie. Doesn't mean we have to share breathing space with the likes of you." Heidi spoke snarkily.
"What my daughter is trying to say is that we prefer to make camp not too far from here." My mother spoke in a more civil tone.
I guess she was now the leader.
"Sophie stays here." Renesme spoke up defiantly from Jacob's side.
My mother looked at me and nodded. "If that's what she wants. We won't force her to do anything."
I sensed that this as the beginning to an apology I wasn't ready to accept.
"Where's Alec?" I asked, realising that he was probably the only person I wanted to see right now among them.
"He's not here?" Jane asked in shock.
"N-no." I responded.
The five shared a strange look.
"What is it?"
"He left us more than twelve hours ago. He told He that he wanted to come back to you immediately." Demetri spoke.
I looked at the wolves and Bella and Renesme. "Alec hasn't been back here since he left... has he?"
They all shook their heads.
I immediately started to panic.
Then where is he?