Goodbye

That's it. I thought to myself.
I have come to the undeniable conclusion that the universe officially has something against me.

I don't know what I could've possibly done to deserve this.

I don't know where in the world I could've messed up or gone wrong. Maybe I was just 'calamity Sophie'. Maybe I just attracted dysfunction.

It surely seemed that way. I felt like a stupid trophy that everyone wanted to snatch and get their hands on, not caring if they ripped me apart in the process.

Right now, I was standing behind Alec. He had his hand in mine and was holding me back as if he was scared, someone might suddenly snatch me away from him.
I didn't know how anyone possibly could. On my left, I was flanked by Jane and on my right, by Heidi.
To add to my protection. Felix, Demetri, Caius and Marcus stood in front of us with Aro and my mother finishing off this little battle formation.

On the other side stood Emmett, leading the group. His siblings and Carlisle and Esme all stood beside him looking like they would attack in a heartbeat if he just said the word.
Actually, now that I had looked at them properly, it actually looked like Carlisle, Edward and Jasper looked ready to hold Emmett back. I mean, they still had their battle faces on but it was clear that they were more concerned about Emmett going crazy and losing control.

To be honest, I was too.

I had imagined seeing Emmett again on so many occasions but I didn't for a second think I would be afraid when I did. But I was. I was so afraid for his safety.

He had this crazy look in his eyes and he clenched his fists so tightly. It almost looked like he was about to do something impulsive.

I could sense the tension in the room and I didn't need special abilities to know that a fight could break out at any minute and that's the last thing I wanted to happen.

"We're not here to fight." Carlisle was the one that spoke. He sounded calm but I could tell that he was worried.

"No kidding." Alec spat sarcastically.
He moved back as if to shield me more from the Cullens.

Emmett growled at his hand which still held mine.

"Carlisle, you can see how your son's actions contradict your words." Caius spoke.

For sure, they did. The minute Emmett had walked in and saw me in Alec's arms, he lunged at Alec so quickly. If it hadn't been for Jasper and Edward who acted fast and held him back, I feared what might have happened. Even Jasper and Edward had a hard time trying to hold back Emmett. He was the strongest after all and he seemed fuelled by his determination to murder Alec.

It took Esme to come in and whisper something to him to get him to retreat. It didn't stop his rage but he stopped trying to attack.

"Emmett is just upset, you can understand why." Carlisle continued.

"No, I can't Carlisle. As far as you told us, Sophie was just a regular old human who happened to stumble upon your secret. You didn't mention that she was involved with one of your sons." Aro spoke matter of factly.

"Well she is." Edward spoke this time. "And we'd like you to acknowledge that now and send her our way so that we can leave with her."

Aro rose his brows in amusement. "So you're saying the Emmett boy is actually romantically involved with our dear Sophie?"

"Your dear Sophie?" Emmett growled. Jasper and Edward flinched and got in position, ready to restrain him if the need arose.

"Just answer the question, boy." Marcus spoke.