Fresh Air

"Look who's back from the dead." Jane spoke as my mother led me into my room.

Jane was already in there, smiling a wicked smile at me.

My mother gave her a stern look. "Not funny, young lady." She spoke in a scolding voice.

She held on to my arm as if I might fall or something even though I insisted to her that I was fine. In fact she would probably end up ripping my arm out of my socket if she continued gripping it with that much strength.

I think that she was under the impression that she was handling one of her vampire children and not an actual human being.

"I'm just messing around, Jessica." Jane told her. "Sophie and I crack jokes all the time." She spoke as she gave me another maniacal smile.

I wish I could agree but I couldn't remember a time when she said anything even remotely humorous to me.

"Right." My mother rolled her eyes at Jane as if she knew her well enough to know that what she said was a lie. "Will you help me get her into bed, sweetie?"

I flinched a little when she called her 'sweetie'. That selfish desire to claim her as my mother and my mother alone returned and I couldn't help but feel a little jealous.

"It really is okay. I'm fine. I don't need to lie down." I told her as I shrugged out of her hold.

She frowned at me. "The doctor said you needed a lot of rest and fluids."

I sat down on the bed. "See? I'm resting."

My mother cocked her head to the side causing her shorter chocolate brown hair to drift to the side with her movement.

"Don't try to be funny."

"Trust me, Jessica, I don't think she's capable of being funny." Jane spoke with a smirk.

I narrowed my eyes at her but she just gave me an innocent smile.

"I'm feeling just fine." I told my mother.

She studied me intently. It was still weird seeing her with those red orbs. I didn't think I would ever get used to them. She had been wearing contacts at the hospital but they were gone by the time we got back here.

"Okay but just promise me you'll get some rest."

I nodded. "I will in an hour or two. I'm not really tired right now."

She opened her mouth to say something but before she could get anything out the door burst open and three of the guys walked in; Demetri, Alec and Felix.

Demetri's eyes landed on me and he smirked.
"Oh look who's back from the dead." Demetri spoke.

"Hahaha." My mum spoke. "Everyone in this family is a comedian."

Alec shrugged. "We blame our mother."

Jessica narrowed her eyes at him.

Hearing him refer to her as his 'mother' didn't make me jealous anymore... A little envious maybe but I guess to some extent, I understood that everyone needed a mother or at least a 'motherly figure'.

"What are you all doing here anyway?" Jessica asked them.

"We came to check on our little human guest to make sure that she was doing okay." Felix spoke and he actually sounded... genuine.

At that moment, something Demetri said came back to mind.
"Say whatever you want about us, Miss Lockwood.. But if there's something the Volturi can never do, it's treat a guest with disrespect."