In Our Heads

I secured my hand around the lamp, holding it so tightly, I thought for sure that I was cutting off the circulation to my fingers. But I couldn't risk losing my grip on it at all costs.

As far as bad plans went, this was by far the worst. I stood crouched behind the door waiting impatiently for the next person to walk in.

I had to get out of here somehow. I couldn't just wait like a sitting duck.

I knew that I had made up my mind to join the Volturi before but not like this...
Not with so many things left undone back home.

And if by some miracle I did manage to get out of here and make it back home, I sure as hell wouldn't be coming back here anytime soon.

I knew that was wishful thinking. Especially coming from a girl who didn't even know where she would go if she somehow managed to make it out the door. I had no money or passport. I didn't even know anyone else here.

I was brought out of my thoughts when I heard the door knob twist. I got in swinging position like I saw all those baseball players on TV do.

The door finally swung open.

Someone walked in and I immediately went in with full force, swinging the lamp as fast as I could.
Unfortunately, I seemed to forget that my opponents had lighting fast reflexes. My target moved out of the way before I could stop myself. Having already gained momentum, I ended up spinning around and falling on my butt, the lamp slid away from me.

When I looked up, I saw Felix and Heidi looking down at me unfazed.

"Cute." Heidi spoke as she stepped over me.

Felix came up behind me to scoop me up by the shoulders.

I glared at them. "Are you here to finally let me go or am I going to stay your prisoner forever?" I asked bitterly.

"You're not a prisoner. You're family." Heidi spoke in an uninterested tone as if talking to a slow child.

"If I was family, you would respect my wishes." I spat.

Felix blinked at me. "Yeah, well, your wishes are stupid and will get you killed."

I scowled at him. He sounded like Alec.

"You need to let me go right now!" I screamed.

Heidi waved me off. "Yeah, yeah... have you had your breakfast yet? Aro wants to meet with you in a short while."

Aro. He called the shots around here. Maybe I could get him to see reason.

I folded my arms across my chest. "I'm not eating."

A lady had brought over a tray of food earlier but I refused to touch it.

"Suit yourself." Heidi spoke obviously uninterested in everything that was going on. "Lets go."
She strutted out the door, Felix followed close behind.

I studied their backs in confusion.

Weren't they worried that I would make a run for it?

As if reading my mind, Heidi spoke. "You could try to escape, but I doubt you would make it ten feet."

"Ten?" Felix scoffed. "I bet she wouldn't make it three feet."

Heidi shrugged and looked at me over her shoulder. "She gets the point."

I did.

They walked and I trailed behind, trying and failing to come up with escape plans. They were faster and stronger, I doubt any attempt I made would succeed.